• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Still looking for a new career prefer pest control or driving job.

You mentioned Benefits
Most companies say they have good benefits but with most everywhere you’re gonna or paying $500 or more out of pocket per month for health ins , with a $5000 deductible

you need to find a job that has a future , that can’t be Internetted to India, or moved to China , or performed here by immigrants , be they legal or illegal.
If immigrants, even legal ones can do your job, They will do it for less , and your salary will suffer.

Since in any job, your salary is totally based on how difficult it is to replace you.

Other factors are: what’s your family status?
Wife ? Kids? Existing financial commitments ?
Ability to attend classes ?
Ability to travel for job ?

Your current skills and Previous job experience ?

i know DNR is hiring game wardens, requires a two year degree, doesn’t matter what subject.
but you gotta move where they assign you.
DOT is hiring for truck inspectors.
Not sure of the requirements or if you have to go where they assign you, I suspect they are more flexible than DNR.

Hvac service is always a good career if you have the troubleshooting and mechanical skills, lock smithing is also a career that not many people think about, getting hired at a locksmith and learning the job, it requires a steady hand to set the pins in new locks though. I could never do it. I’m too shaky.

with any blue collar skilled trade, if you can pass the drug screen and show up on time everyday, you’re already ahead of a lot of the workers.
I know one hvac company that stopped drug testing their employees, because 75% or em can’t pass it.
With hvac though , as most trades, you start out at a low pay, and to make the good money you’re going to have to have tour own business.
The guy I knew who started out working hvac, was a good mechanic and troubleshooter and they had him in a van by himself running service calls in less than two weeks, but he was making $13 hour and the company charges the customers $97 an hour.
If you wanna make any money you have to work for low pay for a while, two years I think, and then get the person you worked for to sign a form for the state, saying you’re skilled enough to get your own hvac license.

there are some driving jobs that pay good,
I know of one heavy haul company based out of Atlanta that will hire right out of CDL school, with no experience,
They pay about $40k the first year while you’re training and learning, then It doubles when you become a lead driver.
They pay on commission, a percentage of what the truck earns, trainee gets 10%, lead driver gets 20%. Driver I know that works there averages 89 cents a mile, almost double what most truck drivers earn. But they haul secure loads, you have to pass an extensive background
check And must be a US born citizen, with good credit, no criminal record, etc etc , and the background check includes your parents, siblings and in laws , since the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree .

I also have a friend that owns a sprinter van , and works with several expedited freight brokers and he says he clears about 80 cents a mile and the van is exempt from all the DOT rules.

I’m not sure when they will start the classes back up, but the state vo tech schools have an excellent CDL class.

Back
Top Bottom