• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Still looking for a new career prefer pest control or driving job.

In my humble and somewhat worthless opinion, if I was a young man again (i'm 21 years OLDER than you) I would look into HVAC and Plumbing. Why? Those fields will NEVER decline and the rates they charge are $$$$. Sure, starting out in the fields will pay crap at $12 bucks an hour, give or take, but it is the LONG TERM concept of gaining the experience and then going out on your own to do it. Owning your own small business is where it is at (presuming you can handle the stress and have great customer service).

So, recently got quotes on this forum to replace an HVAC system. Labor only was over $2000 bucks. YUP. That was with me providing the equipment. I asked my current HVAC man, an old Vietnam vet if he could do it and I offer my help with lifting the equipment and going the grunt work. The entire job took 6-7 hours and that was with me asking a bunch of questions and him happily explaining this and that. We are talking about a 73 year old man who is pretty slow too. A good HVAC guy could have do it in 4 hours easily. $2500 bucks for 4 hours. DO THE MATH.....!!!!!
How much did he charge.......ready????? $500 bucks.
Not saying I would expect small businesses to charge that little, if labor was $1000-1200 bucks, I would have gladly paid on the spot and saved myself a day of time.

And plumbing. Last year I had my bathrooms redone. I was at the plumbing supply store purchasing materials and spoke with a plumber who was there picking up materials. Asked him, if he was interested in merely installing valve. Showed him pics and he said yeah, 10 mins. (i was buying the materials). Ready for this labor quote: $600 bucks. IT takes no more than 10 minutes to do since the sheetrock is already out and the valve is right in front of you. $600 bucks.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Figured it would have been $100-150 which I would have gladly handed over some CASH.

That's my humble and useless opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I agree there’s opportunity to be one’s own boss in the service industry in this part of Georgia, I’m surrounded by a million people just in my county alone. Kung Flu “retired” me in March when my long time employer closed segments of his business blaming it on the Corona virus slowdown.

I’m 4 years from collecting early SS and my home’s paid for and I have a little set aside so I’m considering buying some lawncare equip and going into business for myself, I had a little experience helping my BIL few years back.

Looking for a new career prefer a pest control career , office job or some type of driving job. I’m 24 years old and live in Rome, Georgia. I have law enforcement experience and mainly security but looking for a new career path and find a new passion. Really need a career that offers full benefits
I’d say go to a trade , like plumbing, work never slows down, as long as you sh*t and piss you’ll need a plumber :becky:

wow sir! That’s really the career I’m shooting for Hvac or plumbing or some type of driving job. I’m looking into what company’s are hiring at this time and hopefully a company will have excellent benefits. Thank you for your response it was highly appreciated sir
In my humble and somewhat worthless opinion, if I was a young man again (i'm 21 years OLDER than you) I would look into HVAC and Plumbing. Why? Those fields will NEVER decline and the rates they charge are $$$$. Sure, starting out in the fields will pay crap at $12 bucks an hour, give or take, but it is the LONG TERM concept of gaining the experience and then going out on your own to do it. Owning your own small business is where it is at (presuming you can handle the stress and have great customer service).

So, recently got quotes on this forum to replace an HVAC system. Labor only was over $2000 bucks. YUP. That was with me providing the equipment. I asked my current HVAC man, an old Vietnam vet if he could do it and I offer my help with lifting the equipment and going the grunt work. The entire job took 6-7 hours and that was with me asking a bunch of questions and him happily explaining this and that. We are talking about a 73 year old man who is pretty slow too. A good HVAC guy could have do it in 4 hours easily. $2500 bucks for 4 hours. DO THE MATH.....!!!!!
How much did he charge.......ready????? $500 bucks.
Not saying I would expect small businesses to charge that little, if labor was $1000-1200 bucks, I would have gladly paid on the spot and saved myself a day of time.

And plumbing. Last year I had my bathrooms redone. I was at the plumbing supply store purchasing materials and spoke with a plumber who was there picking up materials. Asked him, if he was interested in merely installing valve. Showed him pics and he said yeah, 10 mins. (i was buying the materials). Ready for this labor quote: $600 bucks. IT takes no more than 10 minutes to do since the sheetrock is already out and the valve is right in front of you. $600 bucks.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Figured it would have been $100-150 which I would have gladly handed over some CASH.

That's my humble and useless opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom