• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stevens 320 pump ( China )

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
CE155C7A-558E-4A39-A31D-DBD47C23453E.jpeg
I bought a new 20 gauge youth or compact model shotgun at Walmart the other night.
It was $147. Not on sale, but standard price for that model, which was made in China (Sun City).

The gun is a Stevens 320, with a 22" barrel that uses screw-in choke tubes, and comes with one cylinder-bore tube and a steel choke tube wrench. (I usually just use the rim of a shell).

According to one big maker of choke tubes, any choke made for the modern Winchester / Browning / Mossberg 20 gauge guns should work. I haven't confirmed that yet with a hands-on test, but I will in the future because I do have a Mossberg 500 in twenty gauge.

The Stevens is supposed to be a copy of the famous Winchester 1300, a proven design.

(more review later...)

In the pic, it's the one with the black synthetic stock.

38BAE35C-D6B0-4902-A82C-E908028F6BAD.jpeg
B9ECF5BD-4BC1-4AE5-9416-74BB16632E86.jpeg

Here's an article full of good info, and a range test report, on the full sized 12 gauge version of this gun, same model, same recent production in China:

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2015/2/18/hardware-stevens-320-field-grade/

I tested the 20 ga compact or youth model again yesterday, at Etowah Valley Sporting Clays in Dawsonville. It worked great. Its cylinder bore choke tube threw a more consistent pattern at 20 yards than my Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 ga with an Improved Cyl. choke in it. The last time we pattern tested these guns, it was only from about 40 feet, but now we got to do it from 20 yards.

I still have not had a chance to confirm that both the Mossberg and the Stevens use the same pattern and thread pitch for choke tubes so that they are interchangeable. But the article says that the Stevens 320 uses the Winchoke (Winchester) type screw in chokes. Numerous sources say Winchester, Mossberg, Weatherby, and Browning Invector (standard, not "Invector Plus" or "DS") are all compatible and interchangeable.

LIKES AS A SKEET / 5-STAND GUN:

* Low recoil, being a steel-framed 20 gauge, and shooting only 7/8 ounce loads of pellets.

* Full length vent rib, and brass bead up front.

* Takes inexpensive screw-in choke tubes that come in a wide variety of constrictions.

* Smooth action, easy to load, cycle, and eject empties.

DISLIKES / Room For Improvement:

* A longer barrel than this 22" one would probably let it point better and track fast moving clays more smoothly.

* The front sight bead could be bigger, and brighter. I may replace it with an oversized one, maybe a fiber optic type.

* The action unlock button is stiff and takes a considerable amount of force to release, which can be difficult due to with small size.
It only sticks out below the receiver (behind the trigger guard, left side) a couple of millimeters.
[But, this gun is still new, not broken-in yet.]

P.S. The gun was 100% reliable. We only used 2.75" shells today.

Not bad for a $147.00 Wal-Mart shotgun!

I've got no idea on my buddy's fingernail. THat does look odd.

Anyhow, we shot this gun, and my similar Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, same 22 inch barrel length,
the Sunday after Christmas. Both guns worked well. The Stevens choke tubes are fully interchangeable with my Mossberg ones (and Weatherby, and Winchester, and Browning Invecta also, I hear).

Still only used 2.75" chamber shells. No 3" magnum shotshells. though both guns are made for them.

Back
Top Bottom