• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel targets stopped ringing. Why?

I realized that I didn't explain very well how much they've actually changed. I tossed a small rock at the gong and it sounded like it hit a 2x4.

I realized that I didn't explain very well how much they've actually changed. I tossed a small rock at the gong and it sounded like it hit a 2x4.

you tossing small rock used to sound like a you hitting the gong with a 2x4?

or is that the current sound?

Or are you saying the rock hitting sounds like a rock hitting a 2x4 (soft can't hear it)

Go record it and post a video for us to hear.

Are you sure your hitting the targets? Have the targets moved due to rain? Sounds like to me your impact angle is just different, and the sound is different cause of that.
Definitely hitting them. Shooting 9mm from about 10 to 15 yards. We spray painted the targets prior to shooting so hits are obvious.

The angle hasn't changed. They're hanging from a bar, so even if the legs move, the targets don't.

you tossing small rock used to sound like a you hitting the gong with a 2x4?

or is that the current sound?

Or are you saying the rock hitting sounds like a rock hitting a 2x4 (soft can't hear it)

Go record it and post a video for us to hear.
B.
The rock hitting it today was almost like it was hitting a piece of wood and not metal. Mabye a but of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

We hung a brand new cheap Wal-Mart piece of steel beside these two on the same stand and it rings great.

That is super odd to me. I have known guys to shoot steel a lot and never heard a difference. (maybe you just have to shoot a billon times for the sound to change?)

Hopefully somebody that runs or shoots on a range a lot might some input cmshoot cmshoot .

I personally have not heard of this.

Ive shot steel where you couldnt hear the ring. I dont now what could be causing it except maybe some lead build up dampening the steel? Have you changed the way they hang or the angle? Look for dimples or deformation. if there is any its best to retire that plate or turn it. Dont ask how I know.

That is super odd to me. I have known guys to shoot steel a lot and never heard a difference. (maybe you just have to shoot a billon times for the sound to change?)

Hopefully somebody that runs or shoots on a range a lot might some input cmshoot cmshoot .

I personally have not heard of this.
Super odd to us too. I wish I would have taken a video before I left so that y'all could hear it. I can understand shallow dimples and lead on the surface could change it a little. This is a significant change though.

Back
Top Bottom