• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stator help for a Honda Moped

just checked and i cant get one. problem is they stop supporting bikes after about 10 years. so in 03 honda quit making the parts for it. the after market probably never made many parts like the stator or rectifier. it can be hard to find the parts and not much if anything will interchange.
are you 100% sure its the stator? what are the symptoms?
a good check is
use a multi meter set to tone.
unplug the stator
check continuity between each leg,if so you are good...if not its bad
then check each one to ground. if so its bad...if not its good
if ok move to next stop. if its grounded its bad...

charge the battery
use a multi meter set on ac voltage
ground the neg leg on the meter
start the bike
check each leg of the stator
(as a rule) you should be between 50 and 75 volts ac per leg at about 5k rpms
each leg needs to be close. I.E. leg 1 55V,leg 2 58,leg 3 54. if they run out more than 5 or 6 points,its usually bad. a little variation is ok,too much will give you trouble.
if it checks out move to the rectifier
there are tests you can do on a rectifier.but over the years i have found that one that tests good on paper,still can be bad.
good news on the rect.... you can use just about any other one and just rewire it..
hope that helps
my background is i have owned my own motorcycle shop since 2005......and i am always busy
thing that sucks with me (in your case) is i dont work on anything older than 2000,and in 2022 its gonna be 05 and newer..but i dont mind helping you out if i can..
later
Bob

I believe it is the same but with a little digging you should be able to tell.
Honestly, what is your 93 worth?
Also, try duck duck go or even safari for your search engine
Thanks. It is worth it to me. The body is in great shape. Motor runs strong. It only has 1300 miles on it

just checked and i cant get one. problem is they stop supporting bikes after about 10 years. so in 03 honda quit making the parts for it. the after market probably never made many parts like the stator or rectifier. it can be hard to find the parts and not much if anything will interchange.
are you 100% sure its the stator? what are the symptoms?
a good check is
use a multi meter set to tone.
unplug the stator
check continuity between each leg,if so you are good...if not its bad
then check each one to ground. if so its bad...if not its good
if ok move to next stop. if its grounded its bad...

charge the battery
use a multi meter set on ac voltage
ground the neg leg on the meter
start the bike
check each leg of the stator
(as a rule) you should be between 50 and 75 volts ac per leg at about 5k rpms
each leg needs to be close. I.E. leg 1 55V,leg 2 58,leg 3 54. if they run out more than 5 or 6 points,its usually bad. a little variation is ok,too much will give you trouble.
if it checks out move to the rectifier
there are tests you can do on a rectifier.but over the years i have found that one that tests good on paper,still can be bad.
good news on the rect.... you can use just about any other one and just rewire it..
hope that helps
my background is i have owned my own motorcycle shop since 2005......and i am always busy
thing that sucks with me (in your case) is i dont work on anything older than 2000,and in 2022 its gonna be 05 and newer..but i dont mind helping you out if i can..
later
Bob
Thank you. Im pretty sure it is the stator. It would not crank without a jump. Once I cranked it, I would remove the jump box and the lights would go dim and blinkers would not work but when I rev the motor they brighten back up and blinkers work. It runs like a champ until the battery runs out of juice then it just dies.

Thank you. Im pretty sure it is the stator. It would not crank without a jump. Once I cranked it, I would remove the jump box and the lights would go dim and blinkers would not work but when I rev the motor they brighten back up and blinkers work. It runs like a champ until the battery runs out of juice then it just dies.
just remember the stator makes ac power,like your house. the rectifier turns the 50 to 70 volts ac into 12.8 to 14 volts dc. if the lights get a little brighter when you rev it,it is producing a little power.
try out the tests and let us know what you get. i will try and help you from there...
Bob

just remember the stator makes ac power,like your house. the rectifier turns the 50 to 70 volts ac into 12.8 to 14 volts dc. if the lights get a little brighter when you rev it,it is producing a little power.
try out the tests and let us know what you get. i will try and help you from there...
Bob
Awesome. Thank you. Im working the night shift tonight but ill try it when I get up tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom