• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Start A Corona Garden Now

Okra is a hot weather plant just like sweet potatoes. We may still have some chilly nights which can stunt the growth. You may want to wait until the soil temp is closer to 70F.
Yes, I won't attempt to plant Okra until the soil is really warm. It is a waste of time and seed otherwise.

I was looking at that “ how long does canned food last” article on the grand pappy site . I have seen some older 2018, 2017-6 cans in my pantry I wonder how decent that would be . No signs of corrosion. Look like the day they were bought .

I was looking at that “ how long does canned food last” article on the grand pappy site . I have seen some older 2018, 2017-6 cans in my pantry I wonder how decent that would be . No signs of corrosion. Look like the day they were bought .
If they were canned properly, I would not hesitate to eat them. Botulism kills even if they are not that old, but if done by the book, I would have no fear.

Today I opened a 5 gal sealed bucket that I filled with cans of oil packed tuna in Nov of 09.
There were slight rust spots on the outside of the cans but after opening and inspecting 3 of them I found no rust on the inside of the cans and the tuna looked great but had slight metallic taste that I have tasted in much younger canned foods.
I will do this again but will probably put some rice in the bottom of the bucket for moisture control

I have 3 10'x12' raised beds going, and a 16'x36' plot that was setup and grown in last year... All in my backyard and all for myself.

I understand the appeal of Heirloom and non-GMO seeds and ordering some online.. But I think I've seen it on here or somewhere that Dollar General has seeds 2/$1 basically need two packs to equal one of the packs from Lowes, Home Depot, or Tractor Supply.. But those stores range from $2.25-$6.99 depending on variety. I was also informed that Dollar Trees can occasionally stock them.

I'm putting this out there for those not looking to spend a whole lot to get going NOW! If you're wanting tomatoes 6-8wks from seed, but for the price and desired amount you might be better off buying trays of starters. Those new to gardening mind the suggested sowin` months. If space allows plant those you can throughout, as down here you can pull crops through out most of the year. Planting a variety is nice and if you communicate with other growers you can each focus on larger crops of certain things and do some trading.

North America has an advantage going into this with it being growing season, the southern hemisphere is going into winter.. And I don't know if any of you have realized Mexico is not doing a damn thing about COVID-19.. So there goes most all of their imports for the cans and shelves..

Best of Luck to all of you Green Thumbs! May you and yours Stay Happy & Healthy through out this mess! :)

As long as the can is intact and isn't bulging (botulism), it should be good to go. Canned food loses nutrition value, texture, taste over time but never really goes bad. If you want to put a number on it, I'd say 10 years if stored properly. I remember reading a story about a family finding canned food from WWII in a backyard bomb shelter that grandpa had dug and then eating it. The 50+ year old canned food was fine.

Back
Top Bottom