• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

standard Small pistol primer

I was by no means recommending using magnum primers in the .357 sig. In fact, I would tell you to not do that. However, I do know of folks that used magnum in 9mm back during the Sandy Hook primer shortage. I did not do that myself.

Since we were on the subject of interchangeable primers I was saying you can use CCI small pistol magnum in placed of CCI small rifle. That will most certainly not cause any pressure increase.

Thanks,

Rosewood
Well what I am in need of is standard small pistol primers, if you have any to trade or sale let me know.

My dad found his Speer Vol 1 or was it Sierra?

It was like 55 pages hahaha

don't know about the 357 sig. i don't have one so i have no clue. i don't run my ammo hot. i don't have any reason to do so. what i reload is for nra/ihmsa metallic silhouette rifle and pistol matches. my ammo is shot in rifles/pistols that are setup for match shooting. you will not find any of my loads in books. you need a chronograph to work up loads. you don't need to spend a lot of money for the basic chronograph. i am still using a chronograph i got in 1982. if you can find older reloading books you can see how the reloading data has change over the years.

Dang, I hate to get to the party late.

W296 is re-branded Hodgdon 110. Why manuals have different loads for them is a mystery. Hodgdon makes several Winchester powders. I have loaded a truck load of 296 over the years, especially in compressed loads, which some manual recommend.

On the primers, I have more experience with shotguns that rifles or handguns. Several years ago, someone did research on shotgun primers, which theoretically are all the same (mostly). The differences in the primers was substantial, with the European primers (Fiocchi, Cheddite) being substantially hotter than American ones. The manuals say don't swap primers - I never loaded (much) balls to the wall shotgun primers, and found that for target loads, there was no discernible difference.

I did experiment with pistol primers, and did load some balls to walls loads, and practically speaking, didn't find any substantial consistent difference, as measured with a chronograph. I used standard pistol primers because they were cheaper. There was one powder, the name of which escapes me at the moment, which had inconsistent ignition with standard primers, with all sorts of unburnt powder in the bore and anything close downrange. Magnum primers solved the problem, me not using that powder solved my problem

I read the notice above from Dillion. The brand of the .40 cal. is not mentioned, and like most issues in the gun world, i think there is a large amount of CYA going. I'm not convinced that changing a primer would result in pressures that exceed those of a proof load, which assumedly the pistol had endured. The "incident" is based on self reporting, and the DA doesn't report what and how much powder he was using, and certainly doesn't report whether he overcharged the round or what.

Again, going back to my shotgun days, about once a year, there would be report of a shotgun (all target guns) that just spontaneously "blew up" and Brand X guns were pieces of crap. INVARIABLY the shooter was using reloads, which he swore were "right out of the manual". This was a particular interest of mine and I tracked down these incidents all across the country, and not one blow up could be verified as using factory ammo. Point being that I am taking with a grain of salt any report that an unmodified pistol shooting a load from a published manual blew up because of a primer swap.

bought 1000 sp primers at smallwood firearms in sharpsburg, they have lots of primers and powder. He Will not sell the primers unless you get $300. Of other components. Told me he had 50k sp primers I noticed he also had rifle primers in both magnum and standard as well as LP in standard and magnum.

Did some scientific testing comparing the CCI small rifle and small pistol magnum. Loaded up 10 rounds of same load only changing the primer in the 300bo. Accuracy was identical and there was no appreciable difference in velocity. Also the firing pin strike on both primers could not be distinguished. I am convinced they are either the same primers or close enough u can't tell them apart. Take those results for what you will or give it a try yourself.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom