• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

standard Small pistol primer

44 mag uses around 25 grains of h110 at max load, .223 uses around 25 grains of h335. Guess the small rifle still needs more charge to ignite the powder over the small magnum pistol huh?

Yes you should always work up loads when changing primers. Even if just changing brands.
Does h110 and h335 both have the same burn rate? Are the powders of the same shape and size, is the case capacity of a 44 mag and a 223 the same? All this has an effect on pressure. Again load what u want, disregard publish data, but don't give advise for others do the same. Not only may u be sued if some were to be harmed, someone could lose their life...

Actually hodgdon will tell u the powders are the same, they even list same load data in modern manuals.

The primary reason the 454 recommended a rifle primer was for pressure reasons. The 454 pushes something like 65k psi, which is in magnum rifle pressure range. The rifle primers have a thicker cup to withstand the extra pressure.
I So you are saying you know more then the experts at speer? Again I will take the advise of the experts and not that of some guy on the internet...

Many times the "experts" are careful what they tell folks for liability reasons. You are also assuming that the person that took your call was an "expert". Many times they are folks that just answer the phone and the experts are back in the shop.

I am still searching for the article so you can read and judge for yourself. I did find a forum that hast he exact article pasted in the forum, but I can't find the source. Still looking..

Look at the second post.
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/177116-small-pistol-primer-sensitivity-ranking/

CCI didn't come out and say they were the same, but they have the same specs.

Rosewood

Does h110 and h335 both have the same burn rate? Are the powders of the same shape and size, is the case capacity of a 44 mag and a 223 the same? All this has an effect on pressure. Again load what u want, disregard publish data, but don't give advise for others do the same. Not only may u be sued if some were to be harmed, someone could lose their life...

Man, I didn't know I was going to get your panties in a wad. I can just see your face turning red with anger through this forum. I apologize if I riled you up so.

If it makes you feel any better, I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and have a great understanding of Physics, Thermodynamics and Heat transfer. So I do have a little bit of cred.

I am also extremely anal retentive about reloading, I would never do anything that is unsafe.

Rosewood

Seems it came from an article by John Barsness - GUNS magazine pg 26 May 2009
I have found several re-post of the article, but can't find the specific article.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

Read it and you can decide what you believe.

"NOTE 1: According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably."

Rosewood

Man, I didn't know I was going to get your panties in a wad. I can just see your face turning red with anger through this forum. I apologize if I riled you up so.

If it makes you feel any better, I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and have a great understanding of Physics, Thermodynamics and Heat transfer. So I do have a little bit of cred.

I am also extremely anal retentive about reloading, I would never do anything that is unsafe.

Rosewood
I am not angry, and I already discarded my panties. I am just saying I talked to the person that answered the phone long enough and in enough detail to know "he knows". He says pointedly it will increase the pressure. Now to be fair we were talking about only the 357 sig. I have been reloading all my adult life, my father before. I know about looking for pressure sighs. But when the forks that make the components you are asking say don't do it, it is going to generate too much pressure. I take them at their word. When I started this thread I ask for small pistol primers, not a substitute for them. I appreciate the suggestion. But i am going to take a pass on the LRP in 357. I could go in to detail about speer saying reducing the load on 357 sig with a LRP would generate more pressure due to the increase in air space inside the case, but since you're a mechanical engineer I guess you know this already...

Seems it came from an article by John Barsness - GUNS magazine pg 26 May 2009
I have found several re-post of the article, but can't find the specific article.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

Read it and you can decide what you believe.

"NOTE 1: According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably."

Rosewood
Therein lies the problem I ask for standard small pistol primers not Magnum. 550 is a magnum primer

I was by no means recommending using magnum primers in the .357 sig. In fact, I would tell you to not do that. However, I do know of folks that used magnum in 9mm back during the Sandy Hook primer shortage. I did not do that myself.

Since we were on the subject of interchangeable primers I was saying you can use CCI small pistol magnum in placed of CCI small rifle. That will most certainly not cause any pressure increase.

Thanks,

Rosewood

CCI says their small pistol magnum and small rifle are the same primers. I know that doesn't answer the question at hand though. I believe the cups are a tad thicker than standard small pistol primers so might have light strikes in a striker fired pistol, not sure.

Rosewood
I guess you didn't read my entire original post. See bold above. Sorry for the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom