• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

standard Small pistol primer

there are all sorts of mix and match going on with regards to primers.

Do some basic research on the specific dimensions of primers, calibers, and loads, and if you aren't comfortable with your findings don't do it. it's as simple as that.

I've mixed and matched stuff over the years. example- 22 hornet there are many people who find that they get better accuracy out of small pistol primers than they do out of small rifle primers. Winchester large pistol primers are only one version, says on the box you can use them for standard or magnum loads. If I'm making something that specifically calls for a magnum primer, I tend to try to use a specific magnum primer vs a winchester (for example, H110 really needs a magnum primer, so on my H110 loads I tend to use a CCI magnum LPP instead of the winchester LPP primer even though it says I can).

if you are shooing a caliber that's high pressure (357 sig), or very small tolerances for error (5.7), I would err on the side of sticking to published resources. If you haven't been doing it long enough or know how to read pressure signs, stick with known data.

Vista outdoors owns cci and speer both, they told me this week that they are not the same. Where did u get the info that says they are?
Was an article I read about primers, can't remember where. They do look exactly same. Same dimensions. Same color primer compound too. Their other primers have different color.

Same article also said cci did not recommend their small rifle primers for ar15s. Should use the #41 primers in floating firing pin guns although, many use them in ars anyway.

Win296 and h110 is the exact same powder today, they still sell them under 2 labels.
If they were interchangeable why would the manufacturer say they are not, they would know. I did not ask the difference I am going to go out on a limb and say i suspect the rifle primers have a high charge than the pistol primers. I suspect this is also the reason for them in 454. But load what you want I think I will stick with the experts who manufacturer the components and have done the testing. I really like my firearms in the undamaged condition and like my fingers even more

If they were interchangeable why would the manufacturer say they are not, they would know. I did not ask the difference I am going to go out on a limb and say i suspect the rifle primers have a high charge than the pistol primers. I suspect this is also the reason for them in 454. But load what you want I think I will stick with the experts who manufacturer the components and have done the testing. I really like my firearms in the undamaged condition and like my fingers even more
I believe that by design the priming compound in a rifle primer is to light off uniformly a much larger volume of powder or powder that is stick vs. flake or compressed ball. I am often wrong (as confirmed by every girlfriend I've ever had) so take my opinion with a grain of salt and a shake of disbelief.

Screenshot_20201031-105343.png

44 mag uses around 25 grains of h110 at max load, .223 uses around 25 grains of h335. Guess the small rifle still needs more charge to ignite the powder over the small magnum pistol huh?

Yes you should always work up loads when changing primers. Even if just changing brands.

Actually hodgdon will tell u the powders are the same, they even list same load data in modern manuals.

The primary reason the 454 recommended a rifle primer was for pressure reasons. The 454 pushes something like 65k psi, which is in magnum rifle pressure range. The rifle primers have a thicker cup to withstand the extra pressure.

Back
Top Bottom