• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

standard Small pistol primer

i used magnum primers in 38 sp, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 s&w, 44 mag, 45 lc, and 45 acp without any problems for years. what i tell people is,,, you reduce your load then work up your load back up. you will need a chronograph. if you don't have a chronograph then i would not do it. i ran tests between standard and mag primers with the same bullet, powder and powder weight. some calibers the mag primer gave me about 25 fps more. most were just a little over the standard primer load fps. if i can remember the 45 acp was close to 50 fps more. i got the data somewhere, i ran years ago when we had this problem before.

sellier and bellot small pistol primers use to stated on the box,,, for standard and magnum pistol loads. so this tells me that sellier and bellot makes one small pistol primer for both, magnum. they made some of the best primers next to tula.

you can use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers. same thing test your loads to see what they are running. i have used the small rifle primer too. but the only thing if your trigger/hammer spring weight is very light then it might not set off the round. the small rifle primer cup is a little stronger/thicker than the small pistol primer. so it takes a better hit to set it off.

i used magnum primers in 38 sp, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 s&w, 44 mag, 45 lc, and 45 acp without any problems for years. what i tell people is,,, you reduce your load then work up your load back up. you will need a chronograph. if you don't have a chronograph then i would not do it. i ran tests between standard and mag primers with the same bullet, powder and powder weight. some calibers the mag primer gave me about 25 fps more. most were just a little over the standard primer load fps. if i can remember the 45 acp was close to 50 fps more. i got the data somewhere, i ran years ago when we had this problem before.

sellier and bellot small pistol primers use to stated on the box,,, for standard and magnum pistol loads. so this tells me that sellier and bellot makes one small pistol primer for both, magnum. they made some of the best primers next to tula.

you can use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers. same thing test your loads to see what they are running. i have used the small rifle primer too. but the only thing if your trigger/hammer spring weight is very light then it might not set off the round. the small rifle primer cup is a little stronger/thicker than the small pistol primer. so it takes a better hit to set it off.
I called speer and ask about using magnum primers or small rifle
In regard to 357sig and they said no would run the pressure up, I ask what if I reduce the load, answer was no, still over pressure. I know there is a lot on the internet who say u can, however the people who developed the load data through testing say no.

don't know about the 357 sig. i don't have one so i have no clue. i don't run my ammo hot. i don't have any reason to do so. what i reload is for nra/ihmsa metallic silhouette rifle and pistol matches. my ammo is shot in rifles/pistols that are setup for match shooting. you will not find any of my loads in books. you need a chronograph to work up loads. you don't need to spend a lot of money for the basic chronograph. i am still using a chronograph i got in 1982. if you can find older reloading books you can see how the reloading data has change over the years.

don't know about the 357 sig. i don't have one so i have no clue. i don't run my ammo hot. i don't have any reason to do so. what i reload is for nra/ihmsa metallic silhouette rifle and pistol matches. my ammo is shot in rifles/pistols that are setup for match shooting. you will not find any of my loads in books. you need a chronograph to work up loads. you don't need to spend a lot of money for the basic chronograph. i am still using a chronograph i got in 1982. if you can find older reloading books you can see how the reloading data has change over the years.
Have a chronograph, been reloading 30 years. A chronograph doesn't tell you what the pressure is. You can have low velocity and high pressure. I have reloading manuals all the way back to the 1980s. If you're working up loads based on velocity reading from a chronograph you are treading on thin ice.

Agreed with summer44 summer44 , chronographs are nifty tools but only part of the picture. Pay attention to your brass ejection whether semi or manual (bolt, revolver, etc). If semi, pay attention to the direction and velocity of ejection. Pay attention to your spent brass for pressure signs. Lots of good info in Ewetube (cause it's for the sheeple) on how to look for pressure signs. The chronograph will tell you if you are in the velocity ball park of where your load book says you should be but the brass itself will tell the full story. I have one but somehow I safely lived without it for three decades of reloading (just got one somewhat recently)

CCI says their small pistol magnum and small rifle are the same primers. I know that doesn't answer the question at hand though. I believe the cups are a tad thicker than standard small pistol primers so might have light strikes in a striker fired pistol, not sure.

Rosewood

CCI says their small pistol magnum and small rifle are the same primers. I know that doesn't answer the question at hand though. I believe the cups are a tad thicker than standard small pistol primers so might have light strikes in a striker fired pistol, not sure.

Rosewood
Vista outdoors owns cci and speer both, they told me this week that they are not the same. Where did u get the info that says they are?

Rosewood
Also if this were the case why would they list small rifle primers for 454 instead of small pistol?

I've heard of people doing this swap/substitution. I've not tried it. I may though. I'm down to 25k small pistol but have many more small rifle #41s. Desperate times and all that.

Back
Top Bottom