• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stabilizing Brace Discussion

georgiahawkeye

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
275   0
Reaction score
Hoschton, The Village at Deaton Creek, Hall County
I read the following part from what the BATF and DOJ posted on the Federal Register on December 18, 2020. They were eluding to possibly giving amnesty as far as registering the handguns with stabilizing braces and exempting them from the $200 tax. You can read the entire article at:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...r-classifying-weapons-with-stabilizing-braces

"Consequently, following issuance of this notice, ATF and DOJ plan to implement a separate process by which current possessors of affected stabilizer-equipped firearms may choose to register such firearms to be compliant with the NFA. As part of that process, ATF plans to expedite processing of these applications, and ATF has been informed that the Attorney General plans retroactively to exempt such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes if they were made or acquired, prior to the publication of this notice, in good faith. This separate process may include the following options: registering the firearm in compliance with the NFA (described above), permanently removing the stabilizing brace from the firearm and disposing of it, replacing the barrel of the firearm (16” or greater for a rifle, or 18” or greater for a shotgun), surrendering the firearm to ATF, or destroying the firearm.

Until that process is separately implemented, and absent a substantial public safety concern, ATF will exercise its enforcement discretion not to enforce the registration provisions of the NFA against any person who, before publication of this notice, in good faith acquired, transferred, made, manufactured, or possessed an affected stabilizer-equipped firearms."

I don't think that whatever was previously posted will have any bearing on the current interpretation of the rules on braces given the EO and the new Anti-gun head of the ATF. The new ATF guy scares me more than the EO that Biden just signed.

I would be prepared to either SBR it, and throw the brace in the trash OR throw the brace in the trash and just have a buffer tube on the back of your AR Pistol.

I cant decide if I should SBR it now....or wait.

I don't think that whatever was previously posted will have any bearing on the current interpretation of the rules on braces given the EO and the new Anti-gun head of the ATF. The new ATF guy scares me more than the EO that Biden just signed.

I would be prepared to either SBR it, and throw the brace in the trash OR throw the brace in the trash and just have a buffer tube on the back of your AR Pistol.

I cant decide if I should SBR it now....or wait.
Or be prepared to carry on with your day and exercise your rights

I read the following part from what the BATF and DOJ posted on the Federal Register on December 18, 2020. They were eluding to possibly giving amnesty as far as registering the handguns with stabilizing braces and exempting them from the $200 tax. You can read the entire article at:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...r-classifying-weapons-with-stabilizing-braces

"Consequently, following issuance of this notice, ATF and DOJ plan to implement a separate process by which current possessors of affected stabilizer-equipped firearms may choose to register such firearms to be compliant with the NFA. As part of that process, ATF plans to expedite processing of these applications, and ATF has been informed that the Attorney General plans retroactively to exempt such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes if they were made or acquired, prior to the publication of this notice, in good faith. This separate process may include the following options: registering the firearm in compliance with the NFA (described above), permanently removing the stabilizing brace from the firearm and disposing of it, replacing the barrel of the firearm (16” or greater for a rifle, or 18” or greater for a shotgun), surrendering the firearm to ATF, or destroying the firearm.

Until that process is separately implemented, and absent a substantial public safety concern, ATF will exercise its enforcement discretion not to enforce the registration provisions of the NFA against any person who, before publication of this notice, in good faith acquired, transferred, made, manufactured, or possessed an affected stabilizer-equipped firearms."

I doubt they will follow up on that...That was when they still had to deal with Trump.

You can bet the rules are already written and ready to go. The only reason they are delaying is so they can get this gun control nut confirmed as head of the ATF. Once he's in place he'll do whatever he wants with no checks or balances at all.

I'm sure he would be perfectly happy to simply roll back all the decision letters and make braces just as illegal as anything but a bare buffer tube used to be.

Back
Top Bottom