• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

St. George Island?

Family has vactioned and fished there since the 70's. Fishing is pretty decent. lol

What time of year you going?
Probably a week in May and another in early August. The August trip will be targeting Tarpon and I might move the May trip to April. I hear that's when the Cobia are there. I'm also seeing stuff about some serious Bull Reds there in the Fall.

I might have to just retire and move there. LOL!

I saw a guy catch a tarpon in Indian Pass from the shore about 15 years ago.
Yup. At the right time of year the Tarpon fishing is incredible. I was going to target the Pass, but am getting the impression that the storms have changed the bottom there and it's pretty treacherous now.

There is honestly not a bad time to fish down there. You might have to move away from the island and up the river/bay in the cold, but something is biting somewhere. If I ever had to pick one time of the year, it would definitely be September into October. The backside of the island is rich with all of the inshore species and are feeding heavily. The spring bite can be money also for pomps, spanish, cobia. I think the last few years that the bite has been better in late April and May across the whole panhandle. It is one that you can't really plan for and have to be ready to go when reports start popping.

There is honestly not a bad time to fish down there. You might have to move away from the island and up the river/bay in the cold, but something is biting somewhere. If I ever had to pick one time of the year, it would definitely be September into October. The backside of the island is rich with all of the inshore species and are feeding heavily. The spring bite can be money also for pomps, spanish, cobia. I think the last few years that the bite has been better in late April and May across the whole panhandle. It is one that you can't really plan for and have to be ready to go when reports start popping.
Unfortunately, I have to plan it and hope to hit it well. I think I'm going to try and time my spring trip for the Cobia run. I'm hearing different things about the timing for that, but for the most part they are saying they are already gone by May. What's been your experience with that?

Well, crap. I just found out I'm having reconstructive foot surgery around March 1st and it will be two months in a cast with no weight on it at all and another month in a boot. The surgeon is an outdoorsman, too and says there's no way in hell I'm going to be on a boat in May. I had to cancel the house I already had rented.

Back
Top Bottom