• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Spotting scope advice? (Sub 1k) Post Yellowstone upgrade

nicaburns

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
Empty Tomb Forge
244   0
Reaction score
We just got back from Yellowstone and realized my spotting scope needs an upgrade. I have a Celestron Ultima 65 which is fine for basic range use and pretty clear up to about 30x. Watching wolves chase baby buffalo in the Lamar valley at a mile away left me wanting more.
Anyone got advice for best bang for the buck? Reviews lead me to vortex diamondback but open to sage advice!!
Thanks!

We just got back from Yellowstone and realized my spotting scope needs an upgrade. I have a Celestron Ultima 65 which is fine for basic range use and pretty clear up to about 30x. Watching wolves chase baby buffalo in the Lamar valley at a mile away left me wanting more.
Anyone got advice for best bang for the buck? Reviews lead me to vortex diamondback but open to sage advice!!
Thanks!

That had to been an awesome trip. I'd love to see pictures.

That had to been an awesome trip. I'd love to see pictures.
Will try to get some posted... it was a trip we have wanted to do for some time but decided to make our first "empty nester" trip. In yellowstone there are plenty of professional photographers with optics to die for but we just hope to go back again next year with a bit of an upgrade. I am realistic enough to know that my budget does not allow for clear zoom pics at over a mile out but maybe easier viewing. We saw Wolves, Black bears, Grizzly, Moose, Bighorn, Elk, Coyote, Pronghorn, Mule Deer, and more Buffalo than we could count... Was definitely rooting for the three wolves trying to cut out a calf but the heard rallied and backed them down.

Inkedwolves_LI.jpg

I am no photographer so this was with a Canon that does 35x optical and 140x digital. This was at 140x on a tripod. My rangefinder only does 1500yds and this was well over a mile.

Back
Top Bottom