Spotlighting Hogs?

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
Anyone have any up to date info on hunting hogs with lights at night?

I've been reading up on hog hunting. I found out that a lot of hog hunters use red or green spotlights at night, especially out west. There seems to be pretty good success with a fraction of the cost of thermal/night vision setups. Makes sense, until I read GA regulations:

Feral Hog - Private Lands
No closed season; no limit. Feral hogs may be hunted at night with a light (no voltage restriction), which is carried on the person, affixed to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by a hunter...
http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/feral-hog/

That would explain the fact that there's almost zero talk of these lights on the ODT... but, there has been some talk here and I found one GA hog hunting lodge that openly promotes the lights. From further reading it sounds like they're not technically legal but not specifically illegal either. GA DNR basically doesn't care in general. Anyone have any experience or opinions on these lights?

w400nb500.jpg
In case there's a question, spotlighting hogs isn't like spotlighting deer. Hogs will spook from the light so there's a little skill to it apparently.

Last edited:
Unlike other animals, pigs eyes do not glow from a light.

That's interesting, but not sure what that means for hunting with a light. If the pig is under a light, I don't need it's eyes to glow. I wouldn't shoot at just a pair of glowing eyes anyway. Am I missing something or thinking too hard?

Anyone have any up to date info on hunting hogs with lights at night?

I've been reading up on hog hunting. I found out that a lot of hog hunters use red or green spotlights at night, especially out west. There seems to be pretty good success with a fraction of the cost of thermal/night vision setups. Makes sense, until I read GA regulations:

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/feral-hog/

That would explain the fact that there's almost zero talk of these lights on the ODT... but, there has been some talk here and I found one GA hog hunting lodge that openly promotes the lights. From further reading it sounds like they're not technically legal but not specifically illegal either. GA DNR basically doesn't care in general. Anyone have any experience or opinions on these lights?
In case there's a question, spotlighting hogs isn't like spotlighting deer. Hogs will spook from the light so there's a little skill to it apparently.
Call your local DNR agent and ask. I find it very VERY hard to believe you'd get ticketed for using such a light. Who cares if there's skill involved or not? They are as invasive and destruction as hell and any/all measure should be taken to reduce to their numbers. It's not hunting, it's PEST CONTROL.

I am not understanding what you are asking. You can definitely hunt hogs at night with a light as well as coons, possum, fox, or bobcat - on private land.

If you are asking if the light can be affixed to the gun, then I understand it to be yes, and that is the way I am setup. The gun is on my person, and the light is attached to the gun along with a scope. I interpret hanging lights over bait as not to be allowed, and there used to be a voltage requirement, but that has since been removed.

The general rule of thumb is green lights for hogs and red lights for predator, but obviously anything can spook an animal.

Back
Top Bottom