• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Spark Plug Socket Adapter

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
So, I want to do a compression test on my motorcycle.
If Poopdaddy weren't 100+ miles from me, I'd ride down there and have the expert do it.
But living way up in Cumming, I decided to try the test DIY style.
Borrowed a compression test gauge from my brother, who was an automotive mechanic before he went to college for engineering.
It's an old one, 50 years or so, and made in the USA. Made for American engines whose spark plugs have threads
that are 9/16" x 18 (fine thread pitch).

The plugs for my 1990's Honda motorcycle use a metric M12 x 1.25 thread.

Where can I find an adapter to use this compression tester on the cylinder heads of my bike?

Would this work?

61VcGF3UPIL._AC_SS450_.jpg

The ad doesn't say what size the back end threads are, but some reviewer commented that it worked with a standard automotive compression gauge to use on a VW engine that used motorcycle spark plugs.

Just screw it into cylinder head. Its soft cast metal and will make its own threads!

On second thought just buy a cheap Pittsburg Set from Harbor Freight for a little more and you'll have more range of sizes:

So, I want to do a compression test on my motorcycle.
If Poopdaddy weren't 100+ miles from me, I'd ride down there and have the expert do it.
But living way up in Cumming, I decided to try the test DIY style.
Borrowed a compression test gauge from my brother, who was an automotive mechanic before he went to college for engineering.
It's an old one, 50 years or so, and made in the USA. Made for American engines whose spark plugs have threads
that are 9/16" x 18 (fine thread pitch).

The plugs for my 1990's Honda motorcycle use a metric M12 x 1.25 thread.

Where can I find an adapter to use this compression tester on the cylinder heads of my bike?
Go to a Honda parts counter and tell em what you want.....

Compression tester, or differential compression tester? One uses the starter and a battery (variables) to estimate compression. The other uses regulated compressed air to measure exactly how well each cylinder holds pressure

Should be available at an auto parts store
Been to the biggest NAPA parts store I could find, and no, they don't have any such thing that fits
motorcycle spark plugs. Nor, apparently, any small engines you might find on lawn mowers, wood splitters or chippers, etc. They suggested trying Tractor Supply for tools to diagnose those machines.

Well, rather than pay $13 for a single adapter that I think would work for one motorcycle,
I ordered an entire kit from Amazon, with free shipping, for $16. It's got 4 different sized ends, plus two rubber cones that are a press-fit (no threading) for use on some applications (probably not a motorcycle which ought to generate 190 PSI of pressure, though.)

923ff6db-ea2c-4952-88c5-36beebcbc59d.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Back
Top Bottom