• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Space Camp? Not quite.

I actually went to the Aviation Challenge when I was a kid, definitely better than Space Camp, lol. They do some mock military stuff, flight sims, helo dunk, etc. I think the only actually physically demanding thing we did was just crawling across some of the backroads at dusk as part of the survival and evasion.

I taught school for years at the Georgia state run school for visually impaired kids. For a week, once a year
the Huntsville camp is set up for blind kids. Students come from all over the world. I took a group there
for many years, both the Space camp venu and the Aviation venu. I like the Aviation side much more.
Kids sleep in barrack like set ups and learn what it might be like to become a pilot in the armed services.
Groups are set up and the kids learn leadership skills, survival skills team skills and yes get in to flight
simulators and have a competition to see who is the best fighter pilot. Some of the simulators are two
seaters, one for pilot other for radar etc like Top Gun. Kids learn what it is like to be picked up from a helicopter
in water. parachute into water, get out of a sinking plane, evade enemy if shot down behind the lines. There are
a number of different jets and helicopters there the kids can look at.
In short, the kids have a lot of fun and learn a lot. Space Camp isn't bad either , they sleep in rooms that are
cramped like being on a space ship. Lots of learning about going into Space, including a mission. Many run the control
end like a mission would have. Older kids get a chance to put on scuba tanks and dive to simulate weightlessness.
Missed going enough I volunteered to go after I retired to help out. The staff is awesome and really cares about
the kids that go.

I actually went to the Aviation Challenge when I was a kid, definitely better than Space Camp, lol. They do some mock military stuff, flight sims, helo dunk, etc. I think the only actually physically demanding thing we did was just crawling across some of the backroads at dusk as part of the survival and evasion.
SERE?! Even a little bit of that would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom