• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

South Dakota,Wyoming,Montana

Wife and I did the Blackhills about 10-15 years ago. Deadwood, Spearfish, Devil's Tower, Custer National Park, Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Great vacation, spent about a week. We did Wounded Knee too, but probably lost on a 9 year old. It was pretty grim when you consider what happened there.

See Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, and Little Big Horn for sure. Saw them all on my drive back from Anchorage. You could also checkout Carhenge if you go through Nebraska. It's actually kind of fun to see. Or the "World's Largest Ball of Twine" in Kansas. It's a hoot that someone actually did it!

screenshot-2019-02-24-at-11.24.52.png

unnamed.jpg

That’s a great trip! My concern would be trying to do much and wearing yourselves out. I hate traffic and crowded tourist spots...and I would try to do things “off peak”. An example is my wife and I did Glacier last summer. In July. We had checked out the traffic app and could see that parking lot at top was full and traffic was bad. We originally were going to go early and try to beat crowds but when we checked it was already packed. So we spent he day in Kalispell instead...Proof research factory is there. Worth a stop.
So we entered the west gate of park late in afternoon (4pm I think)
We had sun at our backs. All the traffic was coming out while we going in! All the critters starting coming out late in day. Saw a grizzly with cub. We stopped a the big lake going in...found a parking spot right next to lake. The 9 yr old will love it...let him get in the ice cold crystal clear water!
By the time we go to the top the parking lot was half empty. It was a great time and we avoided the full parking lots and traffic jams.
If you go east to west do the opposite. Don’t take rig if you can help it...tight narrow roads and I think trailer length limit is short...17ft? Maybe 19 ft.
Get some huckleberry ice cream or a shake. Yum.

I would do Black Hiils vs Badlands. Just my preference.
In Yellowstone I would spend middle of days on walks or old faithful. The magic hours for driving are first and last light...that’s when the critters are out
Do the Jenny Lake boat trip.
Jackson is a tourist trap. Do Dubois instead. Cowboy town and great fishing.
You can do Glacier in a half a day. Yellowstone takes a couple of days. At least.

Back
Top Bottom