• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

South Dakota,Wyoming,Montana

airx22

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
Headed out in 5 weeks for a 3 week adventure. We are going to hit the Badlands,Tetons,Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks.
We will be traveling by road dragging our travel trailer along with us. We have our camp sites reserved along the way.
I have watched a ton of videos on where and what to do along the way. We have some stops in mind in between the National Parks but wanted to hear from you guys on any tips or suggestions on where/what to see and even if there is something that is overrated that we should avoid. It's me my wife and our 9 year old son.

Hit me with them and thanks !

i did the badlands a year ago. I recommend you download 2 apps on your phone:
1) RV Parky
2) Parkadvisor

When in Badlands, park here. Free. Here are the coordinates and you can find it in RV Parky I think. Stay for free here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.8995583!4d-102.2328806

I would skip needles highway if you got a rig. There is this tunnel (see below) and you wont be allowed unless you have a car/truck or bike. I don't think u can tow something thru. It is a very nice scenic route but they also charge u a state fee to drive thru it. I wouldn't do it again.
XrDNkii2w9AT_FWALs0S-M1WBu__qBP4mEzG5shrY3IvZDlEbY1mehY0EPV3oXHVzgo5D76bHAsXyNpyAD7Y21yzs2YVh_Qfiu_6DpDzjZTnTGtFLlPCiEodw40G5gxCHn2bvUslMGiIisF9xGcsq6am1g-zRKXFOb0VsrAwqNIPTKdXURNzFIXnvU_KCcniOZIvEp4SWy-qesmLbSr15tXtm-nqWe8YWzcShfsZtSuQWObPXXPjl5nSl0LM5iGlEYZGc327gOuaRA5u4kpqE-c1dTj5fphWuWmZkQTC-zHfWseCVR3mBezjLrAd4kXpm0rQKlFCG2y2anZSUDKn7tDDjRq_WDBnLIwr7q-aaiMeyofZdkfD5ccwLSxTzy0vQOZ8uyLCNaMUKSqY4VlqEBiErZxV9ZTclPOQWAUo4cZA3EyZRHnqnev0wXcNGl64EkcmLMQPAwaD6XWPqo0euQ95tUzWmQs3cMUUUItT2Xy8UBAhLBJo_QKwQOvFVvrozpVTvdRTgwUHVylwS9kGfgi19885q-g_GUX-koToiqBMYgStWtUoxOU7NlOBv0zJw435Ndw6jHkw6DG7rUIBbe3QS6HnSRmVLPT2UXqgpSHoJK232WVG9jCxn-nXmcgx7A_CvYmg3q6g0zHTgv8yCmqkmLjXYFXi-V67F4NO5BxO7k9-w5psjQcCkPCDYg=w816-h612-no

Walls Drug: This is just a tourist trap. But it should be a bucket list item.
Caves: There is Jewel Cave and wind Cave. Both are nice. Jewel cave is must if you had to pick one. Get up early like the crack of dawn and get inline to get your day pass at the ranger station.
Black Hills: When in black hills, i stayed in one campsite and drove around. Wish I wouldnt have done that. If I had to choose again, I would just drive to wind cave, stayed near there. Then drive to jewel cave the next day, and stayed near there. Rather than to just setup camp and drive all around.
Crazy Horse: I wouldn't do this again. It's okay if you wanna spend a day, give some needed money they need to finish the project. Otherwise, I didn't learn anymore about the Indians than anywhere else.

I recommend you bring an electric chainsaw and a shovel. The camping sites have lots of logs from downed trees you can use but the ranger wont let you put it in the fire ring if it's longer than the fire ring.

Campsite selection: Speaking of downed trees...Pick a site where you think the trees wont fall on you. When the rain came through black hills, it was howling and the rain came down like a wall of water. I didn't think about the trees...so if a tree came down...you are done.

On to Yellowstone: Expect congestion. If there is a row of cars parked, it's because there is a bear and everyone stopped and risk their lives to get out of the car near a bear.

You will see random people on the side of the road with huge telescopes or long distance cameras on a tripod. Everyone of them has been kind enough to share with me their view. Most of these folks are intense bird watchers. So they have painstakenly tracked down a nest and are just admiring it.

Eagle nests: This is a must find. Talk to people and rangers. Some of these are very well documented. They are majestic in its own right.

West Yellowstone: I would skip this. Just another walls drug like tourist trap.

I would say...especially if you are already there in a full rig, that you might consider shorten your trip in Badlands and extend your trip to MOAB Utah and Arches National Park

Back
Top Bottom