• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sonoran Desert Institute

Usmcvet

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just thought i would get yalls opinions on SDI's firearms courses. I recently enrolled in the advanced gunsmith certification program. Ive tinkered on many firearms throught the years but would not consider myself a gunsmith by any means. I was about to lose my GI Bill in the next couple of years so i figured i would give this a go. Anyone have any experience with this program or insight. I would like to get as much out of this course as possible. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-075152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-075152_Chrome.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 20
Honestly, the things you can do online today for education are pretty astounding. I can see the main point in the ARFCOM thread, that the on-site schools are the only 'real' gunsmithing schools. But I also think that's kind of short-sighted.

I could see this being an option if it's done well, and there are certainly a lot of respectable people who seem to support them. I'm sure the ARFCOM poster was right that for higher-end jobs a SDI (degree?, certification?) wouldn't cut it, but if you wanted to work in a small gun shop or something, it would probably be more than enough to get you in the door and get you started.

Heck, I didn't get into computers with a 4 year degree or even an Associates from a college. I did a year at GTE Sylvania Tech (later merged with DeVry) and got a certificate there. That got me a job as a bench tech and while I eventually got my BS in Information Systems, that was at night school years after I got that first tech job.

If there's a demand for gunsmiths, training at SDI is probably good enough to get you in the door at a lot of places. All a degree or certification really shows an employer is that you are capable of learning anyway. The real value to the company is experience, and that you'll pick up over time no matter what school you came through.

Yeah i can see it from both sides. Fortunately for me i have a pretty solid full time career and this is just something to hobby with on a personal level.

I have completed the SDI AS in Firearms Technology degree and the Modern Gun School Advanced Gunsmithing program. They are two very different programs. SDI is like a real online college but much more expensive, if you have a GI Bill and willing to type papers and forum posts this is the way to go. You get a lot more (a final project gun and also a traditions muzzloader) and a few more tools and a hydrodip set up. However if you just like guns and don't have a ton to spend the Modern Gun School program I would recommend also. It is self paced, they send you stuff to get started then basically have two years to finish. As you make progress taking the tests hey will send more supplies or projects out. I am not a professional gunsmith and is only something I like doing in free time. I work in a different field completely. SDI does do a good job at showing other sides of the industry like a class on shooting sports, its more like running the business side. But also you have two classes on reloading, never have done it and don't really have the time to take an interest in it so that was a little bit of a struggle.

Back
Top Bottom