• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone please educate me on homeowner safes

Whitey

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a safe for someone else, and would like to understand what commercially available, reasonably priced safe we should be able to expect to purchase that is both secure and fire retardant. Is there somewhere I should be looking on the Northside of Atlanta?

Plus 3 for SafeCracka SafeCracka , he da man for purchasing safes & moving safes. That little leprechaun moved my Ft. Knox by himself, and that thing weighed 1860 lbs empty! He knows his stuff, trust me when I tell ya. lol

Most of the sub $1000 safes are made in China and many of the sub $2000 safes are also made in China. Biggest consideration is the thickness of the steel in both the side walls and the door

As far as fire rating goes gun safes are not regulated and tested by UL underwriters laboratory so the ratings that they give you they can pull straight out of their highness because there is no consistent testing method to obtain the burn times. Most of them are just a steel box with some drywall on the interior

Consider buying a safe that mirrors the value of its contents don’t put 10,000 bucks into a $200 safe and don’t put 200 bucks into a $10,000 safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to purchase a safe for someone else, and would like to understand what commercially available, reasonably priced safe we should be able to expect to purchase that is both secure and fire retardant. Is there somewhere I should be looking on the Northside of Atlanta?

PM exactly what requirements (size, weight, color, money, deliver, etc….) you have and I’ll try to help you…I’m probably not your huckleberry all the way down in Newnan but can point you n the right direction.

I can tell you that a cheap Sentry "fire rated" safe --one that has maybe 1 cubic foot of space inside and sells for about $150 --is not very burglary resistant. I've seen several of them cracked open by criminals with simple hand-tools, and I myself helped my brother break into one of his where the mechanism had broken and we couldn't get it open with the combo.
It took three minutes with one framing hammer one large screwdriver and one 18 inch crowbar. We need a little bit of noise, which some burglars would be reluctant to do inside your house late at night, but we did get it open in three minutes.

If you haven’t seen this watch it, very eye opening on what a cheap safe buys you.

Also, Safe Cracka is a great guy to annoy the hell out of when it comes to questions. When I was safe shopping he was great help!!

Back
Top Bottom