Somebody give me cheap shed roof ideas.

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
I'm way way overdue to build a cover for my tractor. (Just been going through tarps for years). For now (and perhaps always) it'll simply be an open 'carport' style cover. I intend to use PT lumber for the posts and cross members on the roof (no real trusses) and will simply be a flat sloping lean to style. Left to right.
Unfortunately discretionary funds are non existent at the moment (job hunt) but I do certainly have the time to get it done, so in order to justify this I need to figure out how to make this functional but as cheap as possible given the current cost of lumber. I'm not opposed to something temporary and then 'upgrade' the roof later.
The roof slope will be very slight and it will be adjacent to the back side of my cabin blocking the only window on that side.
I'm more concerned about water leaks when it comes to trashing the framing than I am it getting to/on the tractor.
Shed will be roughly 10' (or 12') x24'

So options are:
1. Plywood ($$$) and roll type asphalt roofing (due to low pitch/slope). Or perhaps there's a way to use some cheap 4x8 something or other and paint or treat it? :noidea: (I do not want to use tin).
2. Clear corrugated plastic would be a big plus for light but I've never worked with it and question it's longevity and how water tight it would be?
3. Your idea.

You can get the metal carports for under 600 if you get a scratch and dent.

If you want a roof that leans onto another structure, easy to do with 3 4 X 6 posts and 12 8X16s some 2X4s (150 ft) and some tin to cover it.

All in all, the metal carport is cheaper.

eta: can send you pics of both types.

Dang man you are cheap...:boink:
If that is supposed to be insulting, you're barking up the wrong tree. :lol:
I'm not working at the moment so every penny I spend comes with a certain amount of guilt. I assume doing what I'd normally do, would run close to $1,000. Just can't justify it.

You can get the metal carports for under 600 if you get a scratch and dent.

If you want a roof that leans onto another structure, easy to do with 3 4 X 6 posts and 12 8X16s some 2X4s (150 ft) and some tin to cover it.

All in all, the metal carport is cheaper.
I wouldn't mind one of those but I don't have the width due to a giant oak tree and they wouldn't be long enough. I want it to cover the tractor with the bush hog attached, hence the 24'.
And as mentioned, I'm not doing tin.

I’ve used the clear corrugated roofing on an add-on space like you’re describing and it worked fine. Was easy to install using screws with gaskets on them and the panels let in plenty of light. No leaks if you don’t over-torque the screws. Those roof panels can be pricey though....like all building materials lately

I have seen several barns being torn down and piles of roof tin one had a sign that is was free. You might look for that type of resource, here is ne from marketplace with roofing tin, 12 ft for $15
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1657529957748941/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

here is more in Cumming for $1 a ft.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/392169022069670/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
I appreciate it but the new stuff is only $21 (vs $15) and I actually have a fair amount of the 5V tin already I had used to to cover the porch on the cabin. I took it down and replaced with plywood and asphalt roll shingle. The reason I do not want to use it again is in a slight drizzle it sounded like a hurricane and as mentioned this will be directly under an oak tree. :)

I have seen several barns being torn down and piles of roof tin one had a sign that is was free. You might look for that type of resource, here is ne from marketplace with roofing tin, 12 ft for $15
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1657529957748941/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

here is more in Cumming for $1 a ft.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/392169022069670/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
Second this, anybody tearing down barns or old chicken houses would no doubt give you materials or swap them for some labor.

Back
Top Bottom