• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solving water hammer bumping pipes.

Had this issue 2 months ago, found an obscure post that advised turning every faucet inside on, then start flushing the toilets, bottom to top of house.

Did it, then after shutting everything off, still the noise.

After the first toilet flush, back to silent.

Been over 2 months of glorious silent pipes........

Hey make PRVs with shark bite fittings

Also adding some hammer absorbers could also help

69fa3029fe33808d1591144ad4d912e7.jpg
That’s for washing machines

Make sure your pipes are strapped. That doesnt fix anything but loose hanging pipes will slap a lot harder against framing when they get hammered. Id add an expansion tank and try burping one more time. Even with air in the system, an expansion tank makes for a really large cushion to absorb shocks to the system. This in addition to verifying your prv is working properly.

we had this a few months back. get a plumber to come out and put in the arrest chambers that the builder should have installed
Not required in Georgia.

Hammer arrestors are really only needed for quick closing valves. Typically solenoid controlled devices like washing machines and dishwashers. Can also be caused by 90° valves on shower systems or Roman tub fillers.

Hammer arrestors or not... the cause of the problem is always a combination of the same things:
- high water pressure
- poorly strapped piping
- quick closing valves (if the problem occurs when turning off devices)

If you don't already have a PRV and/expansion tank, that would be the first things to work out.

Had this happen to my house. Changed the PRV, nothing happened.

Then changed out the temperature control valves in 2 of the showers because the temperature out was not working property.

Banging instantly went away. I assume the seals in these valves went bad and air was passing through?

I actually realized last night that the toilet in our bathroom was connected. I had added red food coloring in the tank and found the water in the bowl turning pink. When I took my shower I heard the toilet run and then the clank. It was constant for a few mins and I decided to turn off the water to the toilet. It became silent. This morning I turned the water back on and it began beating again. I plan to change the flapper and the valve this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom