• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solo 1000 Powder

87KJH

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
47   0
Reaction score
I happened upon a jug of Solo 1000 Powder from Western Powders. The load data I find online is from Accurate Solo 1000 powder. Is it the same powder sold under different label or did Accurate buy out Western? Is it safe to use the Accurate load data?

Was hoping it was the same powder.
I will try some 12 ga target loads using load data from the Accurate website.
Thanks,

So, here is what I think I know: Solo1000 has been made by more than one powder manufacturer, but the different versions have not been made simultaneously, the way 4350 is made by Hodgdon, Accurate, and IMR. They have come from different sources as different powder makers have produced it for whoever was selling it under their label (Scott, Western, Accurate). It tends to vary slightly from lot number to lot number, but not enough to be dangerous, just aggravating. I have used two 8# jugs worth, each from Accurate. The load data never came close to the published data. Published data never produced the velocity. It is the only powder that I know of that produces more velocity in cold temperatures than it does in warm temperatures. The variation is quite noticeable.

Solo1000 is a fast and clean burning powder that is best used for light pistol loads or shotgun loads. It is bulky and will fill a 9mm case before it produces much velocity. I think it is best used in 38Special, 45Colt and 45ACP. I found the load data produced for the Scott Solo1000 to be the accurate.

I can not speak about shotgun data, since I have only used it in pistols.

Excellent information! That explains the difference in labeling, the manufacturer and location. The load data for shotgun shells is not quite as critical as with Handgun so I feel confident that starting with one of the low pressure/low velocity load from the Accurate website will be safe. I have never used a powder that increased velocity in colder temperatures, but will keep that in mind if I decide to try some back fence loads.

Thanks again,

Solo 1000...it’s the best. In fact, I actually prefer the older ones like the one u have.

They stop making them. It is reported that they found it too inconsistent on burn rate and temp. I say bull schit.

I’ll take em off your hands. Let me know if like to trade for it

Saw this too late. I ran a batch of 12 ga AA with 1 1/8 oz #8, W209, AA12, @16.9 grains.

I have heard from several older trapshooters that Solo 1000 makes a soft shooting light target load in the 1125 to 1150 FPS range that is ideal for 16 yard trap. I will find out if is it true next weekend.

I have other choices for 12 ga powders so the Solo 1000 loads are more or less an experiment. Too many miles between us to trade just a jug of powder, but I will seal up the remaining 7 1/2 lbs in the belief our paths will cross in the future.

Thanks to both you and 1006 for sharing what you know about these older powders.

Back
Top Bottom