• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar power

I started a thread several days ago in another sub forum asking this same question and got a couple responses, but I may get more here, so:

im looking for recommendations for a solar battery charger that can charge 18650 (mostly with USB port) batteries AND an anker Astro e1 6700 mAh battery. (5v 2A) (also USB port)

I no nothing about solar or battery chargers. I’m trying to research some but I’m lost. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Ideally something not super heavy or bulky, but also not ultralight IF the price of ultralight gear is dramatically increased and the durability is decreased.
Not looking for anything super cheap but nothing super expensive either.
Just looking for a good durable reliable charger that can charge both type batteries.

I started a thread several days ago in another sub forum asking this same question and got a couple responses, but I may get more here, so:

im looking for recommendations for a solar battery charger that can charge 18650 (mostly with USB port) batteries AND an anker Astro e1 6700 mAh battery. (5v 2A) (also USB port)

I no nothing about solar or battery chargers. I’m trying to research some but I’m lost. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Ideally something not super heavy or bulky, but also not ultralight IF the price of ultralight gear is dramatically increased and the durability is decreased.
Not looking for anything super cheap but nothing super expensive either.
Just looking for a good durable reliable charger that can charge both type batteries.

there are many panels that are made for this sort of thing. check the stores you like.

Thank you.
I was curious if anybody had any experience with certain ones, using one unit for 18650 AND a bigger battery pack and how well it worked out charging the different type batteries. and could make recommendations based.

Thank you.
I was curious if anybody had any experience with certain ones, using one unit for 18650 AND a bigger battery pack and how well it worked out charging the different type batteries. and could make recommendations based.

I have a Jackery 240 and I've not had any problems. I've mostly used it to charge a phones and such, that's pretty much the same thing your going to do. You need to figure out the capacity of your 18650s (I've seen them as large at 5000mAh), and figure out how many times you want to be able to recharge it from the larger pack before it needs recharged. Then you need a pack that large and a solar panel large enough to charge it. The big thing to look for is does the pack have enough jacks to hook up everything you need at the same time without external splits.

Ok thank you. That makes a little more sense. I’m lost in this subject man. So I appreciate the advice. I’m not sure my larger battery pack will charge the 18650?
I didn’t think about that, but that’s a good idea.
So basically if I buy a solar panel capable of charging the larger battery pack, I can also use the same one for the single 18650’s without damaging them?

Ok thank you. That makes a little more sense. I’m lost in this subject man. So I appreciate the advice. I’m not sure my larger battery pack will charge the 18650?
I didn’t think about that, but that’s a good idea.
So basically if I buy a solar panel capable of charging the larger battery pack, I can also use the same one for the single 18650’s without damaging them?

The depends on the panel an the pack. Not all panels have built in regulators and can damage a pack that expecting a certain voltage.

If your 18650 is 3000 mAh and your larger pack is 6700 mAh, you might get two charges out of it. But you're not supposed to run most packs that low if you want them to last. Think of them of as buckets. How many of the little bucket sizes will fit in the larger bucket.

Ok. It’s making a little more sense now. That was my main concern, damaging the batteries. The 18650 is a surefire usb rechargeable. Not sure the MaH right off hand.
Thank you.

Ok. It’s making a little more sense now. That was my main concern, damaging the batteries. The 18650 is a surefire usb rechargeable. Not sure the MaH right off hand.
Thank you.

Looks like 3500mAh
https://www.surefire.com/products/parts-accessories/batteries/sf18650b/

This is the kind of thing you're looking for if you plan to recharge the smaller battery more than a couple of times.
https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-160-portable-power-station
It's 46400mAh if I did the calculation right in my head.

Back
Top Bottom