• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar power

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
Since this last Hurricane I am looking more and more ways to power my home for short term comfort. E.g. high wind , ice storms, hurricanes , crazy wind sheer seem to be the main causes of the power going out . I am getting a gas powered generator but!!!!

I want to know about any of you who have those small solar systems that can run lights, charge up electronics, just keep small things running . I do have a solar flashlight , works great, and have some solar outdoor lights that work well. Can you suggest a solar panel system that’s portable and can sit on my deck when I need it?

There are quite a few systems available which will power items of your choosing but first you will want to list them out and see what your power requirements are in Watts.

Once you know that you can select the appropriate capacity to fit your needs.

Solar systems basically have three components:
- Solar Array to charge the batteries
- Batteries to store the charge
- Inverter to turn DC into AC

If you have an idea of what you want PM me and I may be able to set you up.

Want to run Wifi, Light or 2, Charge up phones, Coffee pot? Nothing huge. Something that would be good for truck/car camping, something that would fit on my deck/ or backyard. Basic stuff.

Since this last Hurricane I am looking more and more ways to power my home for short term comfort. E.g. high wind , ice storms, hurricanes , crazy wind sheer seem to be the main causes of the power going out . I am getting a gas powered generator but!!!!

I want to know about any of you who have those small solar systems that can run lights, charge up electronics, just keep small things running . I do have a solar flashlight , works great, and have some solar outdoor lights that work well. Can you suggest a solar panel system that’s portable and can sit on my deck when I need it?

If you're looking for a portable that can charge/power small stuff there are lots of options. I picked up a Jackery 240 with a 60w panel for camping use. There are many others out there, you just need to figure out how big you want and check the reviews. I've only had it about 6 months, but it's been trouble free so far. It charged our phones for 2 nights during a 24 hour+ power outage last week.

This is the one I have, there is a newer version of it already and they have units all the way up to 1000W
https://www.jackery.com/collections/featured-products/products/explorer-240-portable-power-station

If you're looking for a portable that can charge/power small stuff there are lots of options. I picked up a Jackery 240 with a 60w panel for camping use. There are many others out there, you just need to figure out how big you want and check the reviews. I've only had it about 6 months, but it's been trouble free so far. It charged our phones for 2 nights during a 24 hour+ power outage last week.

This is the one I have, there is a newer version of it already and they have units all the way up to 1000W
https://www.jackery.com/collections/featured-products/products/explorer-240-portable-power-station
Did you buy the solar panels or just had it charged up before the storm? That's a neat product.

Want to run Wifi, Light or 2, Charge up phones, Coffee pot? Nothing huge. Something that would be good for truck/car camping, something that would fit on my deck/ or backyard. Basic stuff.

Nothing huge you say... that COFFEE POT is one of the largest resistive loads you can add, outside of an oven/strip heater, etc. The power requirements for it, much like a hair dryer, can run from 750 to 1500 watts, well more than the power requirements combined of the others you listed.

Did you buy the solar panels or just had it charged up before the storm? That's a neat product.

I keep it charged at all times for grab/go and emergency use. I haven't had too many chances to use the Solar panel, but I've put it out several times on sunny days and it charges as advertised. I charged it the 2nd day on a drive to a hike from the 12v input, it went from 80% to 92% on a drive from Sandy Springs to the Dacula area.

This is the panel I have with it:
https://www.jackery.com/products/solarsaga-60w-solar-panel

Nothing huge you say... that COFFEE POT is one of the largest resistive loads you can add, outside of an oven/strip heater, etc. The power requirements for it, much like a hair dryer, can run from 750 to 1500 watts, well more than the power requirements combined of the others you listed.[/QUOTE

Ok then X out the coffee pot.

Rockpals is another brand that gets good reviews, but I don't have any experience with them. You can find Goal Zero locally (REI and I think I saw them at TruPep), but they seem to be a bit clunky to me.

Back
Top Bottom