• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar panels / solar roof ??

Installing a system in a house currently under construction. The homeowner was looking to install solar as backup power instead of a natural gas generator. If the power goes out, you can run your refrigerator, lights, and small appliances for a few days for about $25-40k. If you want to run central air, it will last about 3 hours.

$25-$40K???????
Solar is a waste of your hard earned and taxed income!!!

Spend money on:
Air sealing
Better windows
Extra insulation
A higher SEER HVAC
Fresh air ventilation and humidity control.

The payback/ ROI is much better.

"Simple Steps to Improve Air Conditioner Performance - Energy Vanguard" https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/simple-steps-improve-air-conditioner-performance/

Building Science, yeah. It's a thing.

$25-$40K???????
Solar is a waste of your hard earned and taxed income!!!

Spend money on:
Air sealing
Better windows
Extra insulation
A higher SEER HVAC
Fresh air ventilation and humidity control.

The payback/ ROI is much better.

"Simple Steps to Improve Air Conditioner Performance - Energy Vanguard" https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/simple-steps-improve-air-conditioner-performance/

Building Science, yeah. It's a thing.
You forgot to mention solar alignment, and passive solar heating and cooling.

Installing a system in a house currently under construction. The homeowner was looking to install solar as backup power instead of a natural gas generator. If the power goes out, you can run your refrigerator, lights, and small appliances for a few days for about $25-40k. If you want to run central air, it will last about 3 hours.
I am in the HVAC field and I have seen many new houses in which homeowners are installing gas generator, instead. Sounds interesting, because even if power goes out, you can whether have natural gas or the big propane tank, I think!

When I did the research 18 years ago. It was cheaper/more efficient to have a dedicated property generating electricity that you sell.

Remember that all of the power generation happens during non use hours and the storage solution only adds to the costs

+1 for gas powered generator backup.

Back
Top Bottom