• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar Cookers

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on solar cookers?

I could see where one could be a great help in a long term grid down event. Eventually clean fuel would be depleted, and cooking would still be required for many foods such as dry beans, rice, pasta, etc.. A fire used for cooking these things might attract unwanted dinner guest.

Anyone have experience with solar cookers?

I could see where one could be a great help in a long term grid down event. Eventually clean fuel would be depleted, and cooking would still be required for many foods such as dry beans, rice, pasta, etc.. A fire used for cooking these things might attract unwanted dinner guest.

They only work well with direct sunlight for long periods of time. If you have tree's etc... (most of North Georgia), they don't do so well.

I built one years ago and use it to cook with sometimes. It is a wooden box lined with reflective silver insulation. It has a bi-folding top that can direct sunlight on to a large single pane of glass that I lay on the box. It will get up to 325 degrees on a full sun day but the temp will fluctuate with clouds or shade. I use a metal roasting pan to cook in and it’s great for one pot meals.

They only work well with direct sunlight for long periods of time. If you have tree's etc... (most of North Georgia), they don't do so well.
Exactly. I have to move mine around to insure it stays in direct sunlight. It would work great in a desert or on the beach.

You're better off with an Earthen Oven. If it's built correctly, there is very little smoke. Look on Youtube for "Townsends Earthen Oven" for how to build one.

In the summer I put my sausages on the hood of my black suburban. In about 1hour they are fully cooked and even browning. Uses no energy at all. A solar cooker would be simple to make out of almost any material.

A bunch of years ago I built a parabolic solar cooker for a 4-H demonstration. It was built out of cardboard and aluminum foil and was 36 inches across. Cooked a hot dog in no time at all. Would burn you hand if you stuck it into the focal point.

Day like today you could make a 7-course meal!:target:

The sun's energy is amazing. My dad bought one of these way back in the day.

NEW-Old-Stock-Radio-Shack-Vintage-Solar-Cigarette.jpg

He could light a cigarette in no time. On a larger scale I could see how powerful it could be. As long as it wasn't cloudy or raining.

Back
Top Bottom