• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Social distance project (Cabin #2).

Yes...It’s a 4 acre spread with a cabin near the creek then one more up the hill then the main house cabin on top of the hill with another large cabin above that which backs right up the the national forest.
It’s sick dude....my dream property.
All the buildings were shot/ neglected but fixable unfortunately the main house cabin is a total basket case with major damage from flooding, has mold, critters and lots of structural damage but the small cabins have good bones or can be easily resticked, skinned and finished out.
Pretty much a carpenters dream or a wanna be like myself...lol.
Wait, the one with the flood damage is the one on top of the hill ? Yikes!
It does sound like a dream. All my wants can't overcome my lack of skills though. :redface:

Wait, the one with the flood damage is the one on top of the hill ? Yikes!
It does sound like a dream. All my wants can't overcome my lack of skills though. :redface:

Yeah the big house cabin is a pretty much total rebuild candidate.
Eventually I’m gonna build a permanent residence cabin even further up the hill but yeah, the big cabin could ha e been saved if not neglected for ten years since it flooded....too many natural enviro dangers took hold in the walls, floors.
I figure if I strip it to the sticks I’ll know what I’m dealing with then I can devise a game plan but termites, squirrels l, mold and rot took its toll.
It looks great from the outside but the P/O had it painted to look appealing which it does but once you look closely it’s a basket case.
As far as lack of skills.....youtube baby.
You can learn everything on youtube.
I just learned most of this stuff living on a farm in Pennsylvania.
If something broke , we fixed it.
If something needed built, we built it.
My father in law pretty much taught me everything I know...at least enough to be dangerous.
Now I can’t get enough of this stuff ....lol.
I really should start building these damned things for people with money....haha.
I’d love to take on a apprentice to teach carpentry skills to since we all need someone to show us how to do stuff.
Once you get a feel for it you can’t stop.

I know......That’s what she said.

82C395D8-398D-4326-AE62-FC4922168827.png
ACDB7151-7B1A-4C23-988E-EB8893908316.jpeg
C2A79999-F442-46C0-94D9-628651EACC9D.jpeg
B2088ADF-4129-44E1-806D-27168422690F.jpeg
So I got the furring strips up yesterday and I’m ready to start skinning the walls with tongue in groove.

I’m gonna do the floor with pergo that I got for free but I’m gonna do it right by laying down DMX air gap underlayment with T&G OSB tapconned down on top for a good subfloor that will breathe and not be affected by light water intrusion.
The DMX also helps with “slightly” uneven base floor.

I’ll show a pic of the DMX stuff...it’s pretty bad azz.

Back
Top Bottom