• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So who all rides motorcycles?????

being retired and buying tires for 3 Harley's puts a dent in my wallet, my tires are around $200 each
so i tried to $ave a little money by buying on-line
the result >>>

FYI:
Keep in Mind your Motorcycle Tire has a Contact Patch with the Road no bigger than the Palm of your Hand

Beware of Buying Motorcycle Tires from Dennis Kirk or Any on-line store - CHECK THE DATE CODE
not saying all DK tires are old, but Beware buying tires on-line.

- Buying on-line It's The luck Of The Draw

DO NOT Install until you Check The DATE CODE (see decipher below)

I just received my New Tire and it was manufactured in June of 2016 (Date Code 26/16). The Tire will be 5 years old in June. In some States this can be an insurance issue Against you in the event of an accident riding on a Tire older than 5 years.

This is a Front Tire 80/90-21 for my Panhead (shown below) it doesn't get that many miles, but they can be Fast miles - I can't resist putting the M8 Riders in the dust, (some of you know what I mean)

After talking to Manager of Customer Service he said it is within the Manufactures Guidelines of 5 years - but, this Tire will expire in 4 months. Customer Service said that their Tires are hung not stacked ( that's my consolation). I interpret my conversation as - Go Pound Sand

Wish I would have checked the Date Code before installing the tire, as they will not take it back now, or refund any money; Heck I ask for a refund to my purchase price of $25 and the line went dead.

I feel bad as, I should have spent a little more $ and bought from my Indy, his tires have never been over 4 months old and shipping is 1-2 days, talk to Bill at https://www.amcpchoppers.com/

FYI: the photo below shows my MC Tire Date Code 2616
this is deciphered as -
The First 2 #'s are the Week in the Year - 26 = Mid-June
The Second 2 numbers are the Year - 16 = 2016

View attachment 3117676 View attachment 3117678

Yeah, I have gotten burned by that too. See tires on sale, order them and realize that they are 6 years old and need to be thrown straight into the trash... Very annoying.

Too many people ignore the date, and just go by how much tread is left... That can put your ass on the ground fast, I have seen it happen.

I go through several sets of tires per year, and I just order them through Cycle Gear, so I can look at the date before I pay for them...

being retired and buying tires for 3 Harley's puts a dent in my wallet, my tires are around $200 each
so i tried to $ave a little money by buying on-line
the result >>>
I was going to buy tires online but before placing my order checked local classifieds and found a guy selling the tires I was looking at in the correct size for 2/3 of the price, after confirming they had mid-2020 manufacture date I got them from him.

I bought car tires online in the past multiple times. Unless buying from Tirerack or a similarly reputable shop, I always contact the seller first to confirm manufacture dates.

IMHO, the 5-year life is meant for time on the bike, exposed to the elements. If they are stored properly in a climate controlled environment and away from UV rays, you can go over the 5-year mark, though selling 4.5 year old motorcycle tires as new is wrong. I would chat with CS of tire manufacturer about this and depending on what they say, go back to Dennis Kirk and apply more pressure. A partial refund is a reasonable request as you'll likely want to replace the tire well before it's worn out. It's a big enough of an outfit so they should be sensitive to BBB and social media.

Helmets too. Club racing orgs and even track day orgs check your helmet date as part of the tech inspection. Getting an $800 helmet for $600 but you can only use it on the track for 2 yrs sucks.
Some of these discount sites don't stock anything and can't put their hands on the item

Helmets too. Club racing orgs and even track day orgs check your helmet date as part of the tech inspection. Getting an $800 helmet for $600 but you can only use it on the track for 2 yrs sucks.
Some of these discount sites don't stock anything and can't put their hands on the item

Yup, luckily I had a spare helmet with me, when mine got bounced at tech inspection at the track...

Why did they not pass it? Was it a track day race day?

Track day. Luckily I had the spare. Another time it was expired but still in great shape, and Stacey Michelle was the control rider doing my inspection and she let it go, just told me to get a new one before the next track day...

I take two helmets now to the track... I have a new Shoei X-Fourteen and my street helmet, which is a GT-Air... If they bounce the GT-Air because it has a drop down tinted shield, then I use the other one...

Playing around with the new bike yesterday, taking it easy as I still need to learn the handling and stuff, plus it was cold and I couldn't seem to get much heat into the tires... But all in all I am pleased. Have a set of Shogun crash protection parts on order, plus a steering damper kit. Installed a Hotbodies slipon and tail tidy... next will be a taller windscreen and getting the ECU flashed by Chris Moore up at Moore Mafia, and last, a better quickshifter... the stock Kawi one sucks compared to the units that Triumph and Ducati use...

But it was a decent ride, despite the colder road conditions... It should be done processing up to 4k later on today... But 1080p is up now...

12 CVO street glide as well as a 01 springer and 6 different dirt bikes !!! 301A348D-F66C-4489-A109-070C496F3579.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom