• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So who all rides motorcycles?????

My new ride, to go along with my Bonneville Street Cup...

View attachment 2492303

And if you have the money and want the most brutal, idiotic and stupid-fast hooligan bike ever made...

Look no further than this. About $30k out the door once you add the Titanium race exhaust to the mix... But you get a 234hp hyper beast that will wheelie at 140mph and top out at around 187mph if you are brave enough and can hang on...

I have two bikes, so I went with the Street Triple this time, but if I was only gonna have one bike, it would be this...

View attachment 2492304
Seen the new "Bronx" ? It's kinda cool. I'm not comfortable on SportBikes but I like looking at'em ;)

Seen the new "Bronx" ? It's kinda cool. I'm not comfortable on SportBikes but I like looking at'em ;)

For a Harley, it looks cool. I personally don't really care for HD's... Too heavy, too slow, and they charge so much money for 1980's performance and technology... it's a lifestyle brand more than anything, in my opinion. People buy them in order to purchase the "bad boy image", when most of the time they just end up being Wild Hawgs... LOL

That said, Harley has turned out a few interesting bikes, even to me... The V-ROD was cool. The XR1200 was cool and the Bronx actually looks very interesting.

My fear with it, is that it won't appeal to most traditional HD enthusiasts, and it will be too heavy and too slow to appeal to the sportbike crowd... I worry that it might be another flop, like the Live Wire...

Now, if the final product is lighter, offers actual good performance and is at the right price point, that would be appealing to me...

But the market is packed with established naked sportbikes. Tuono, Super Duke, MT-10, Brutale, Kawi Z series, Street and Speed Triples, Monsters, etc... All bikes with amazing performance... so breaking into that market, might be a tough nut to crack...

But HD needs to do something, because they are hurting in recent years... Doing the same old thing but at inflated prices will only work for so long... The new generation of people getting into riding, don't know what Easy Rider was... they don't get the whole nostalgia thing... being "Made in America" means nothing to a millennial who owns nothing but Apple products made in China, you know?

On paper, the Bronx looks very cool, but I would like to see actual specs and pricing before I would even consider it...

For a Harley, it looks cool. I personally don't really care for HD's... Too heavy, too slow, and they charge so much money for 1980's performance and technology... it's a lifestyle brand more than anything, in my opinion. People buy them in order to purchase the "bad boy image", when most of the time they just end up being Wild Hawgs... LOL

That said, Harley has turned out a few interesting bikes, even to me... The V-ROD was cool. The XR1200 was cool and the Bronx actually looks very interesting.

My fear with it, is that it won't appeal to most traditional HD enthusiasts, and it will be too heavy and too slow to appeal to the sportbike crowd... I worry that it might be another flop, like the Live Wire...

Now, if the final product is lighter, offers actual good performance and is at the right price point, that would be appealing to me...

But the market is packed with established naked sportbikes. Tuono, Super Duke, MT-10, Brutale, Kawi Z series, Street and Speed Triples, Monsters, etc... All bikes with amazing performance... so breaking into that market, might be a tough nut to crack...

But HD needs to do something, because they are hurting in recent years... Doing the same old thing but at inflated prices will only work for so long... The new generation of people getting into riding, don't know what Easy Rider was... they don't get the whole nostalgia thing... being "Made in America" means nothing to a millennial who owns nothing but Apple products made in China, you know?

On paper, the Bronx looks very cool, but I would like to see actual specs and pricing before I would even consider it...
haha, I'll eat the Harley comments and keep my honest opinions of sport bikes to my self (I already got deleted this morning LOL). I'm genuinely glad you are happy with your purchase , I know I am of mine :thumb:

haha, I'll eat the Harley comments and keep my honest opinions of sport bikes to my self (I already got deleted this morning LOL). I'm genuinely glad you are happy with your purchase , I know I am of mine :thumb:

I am making a generality... it only needs to apply to the majority to be true, even if you personally don't fall into that bucket. :-)

If you want performance, it takes a sportbike. It's a purpose built machine, and in a lot of ways is a safer ride than a cruiser.

Lighter, handles better, can stop faster and safer, can accelerate to get out of the way of something better... People think that sportbikes are so much more dangerous, but the reality is that the majority of motorcycle fatalities tend to be on cruisers...

There are days I don't want to go fast, I just want something simple, cool and just want to tool around on... I take the Bonneville on those days... But if it was $20k because of the name on the tank... no thanks...

It's not that I think that Harley's are BAD bikes... It's that you don't get a lot for your money. You are paying for a name, but more to the point, what the name USED to mean... if that makes sense...

Ride what you ride, if just doesn't appeal to me... doesn't mean it doesn't to you, and that's cool...

If the Bronx turns out to be the real deal, I would consider it...

Reading up on the Bronx and it is intriguing. If you look at it through the lens of a Harley, you are like WOW!

But when you look at what the market already offers... Let's say the HD delivers and it comes in at $15k... Makes 115hp at the crank, weighs in at like 470lbs weight. By HD standards that is a rocket ship...

Compare that to the bike I just picked up... 2020 Street Triple RS... smaller motor, but makes more HP at the rear tire than the Bronx will make at the crank. Dry weight of 361lbs, so figure about 405lbs fully fueled... Comes with an Ohlins TTX40 shock, Showa BPF forks, Pirelli Super Corsa SP3 tires, Brembo monobloc M50 calipers and a really slick Brembo MCS radial master cylinder... the same one that comes on the $70k Ducati Superleggerra...

All that and more, with a 2 year warranty, for $12.5k... That's the market that HD is trying to break into...

It might work, could be interesting to see HD using their money and market influence to get into the sportbike world... Their attempts in the past were half-assed at best... Maybe this time they will do it right...

My new ride, to go along with my Bonneville Street Cup...

View attachment 2492303

And if you have the money and want the most brutal, idiotic and stupid-fast hooligan bike ever made...

Look no further than this. About $30k out the door once you add the Titanium race exhaust to the mix... But you get a 234hp hyper beast that will wheelie at 140mph and top out at around 187mph if you are brave enough and can hang on...

I have two bikes, so I went with the Street Triple this time, but if I was only gonna have one bike, it would be this...

View attachment 2492304

Best make really good friends with the dealer.

FullSizeR.jpg

Best make really good friends with the dealer.

View attachment 2492449

Why? My wife and I have owned 11 or 12 Ducati's between us.. never had a significant issue with any of them...

2007 Monster S2R1000
2007 Monster S4RS
2007 999S Parts Unlimited Edition
2008 Hypermotard 1100
2010 Streetfighter 1098
2010 848 Nicky Hayden Edition
2009 1198
2014 Monster 1100S EVO
2015 Diavel
2014 Monster 1200S
2013 Streetfighter 848
2018 Panigale 959

I feel like if Ducati were prone to issues, we would know about it. ;-)

The problem is that people keep repeating things that haven't been true in 15+ years... the old "You have to do the valves every 4k miles" and stuff, simply hasn't been true in well over a decade.

Ducati maintenance intervals are longer today, than many Japanese brands... Now, a service can cost more because a bike like the l-twin Panigales don't have a frame, and so doing something like a valve adjustment requires a lot more than just removing the tank and valve covers... It means removing the metal airbox which is what connects the front of the bike to the back, effectively cutting the bike in half... LOL

So it costs more, but you don't have to do them as often, so it evens out in the end...

There are lots of "common knowledge" things that simply haven't been the case in many many years...

I like the "you have to scrub in your tires for a couple hundred miles before going fast"...

Not true, they haven't used release agents in the manufacturing process in many years. You know, you toss on new tires at the track and you don't even remove the sticker... You just toss them on, hit the track and take it easy for a lap and then let her rip... Today's tire break in process: 1) Turn Left. 2) Turn Right. 3) You good.

Or the "you shouldn't use synthetic oil for at least 1000 miles on a new bike or it won't break in...

NEVER been the case and almost every bike today ships with synthetic from the factory. Synthetic isn't more slippery, it just flows better and doesn't sheer down as fast. That's it.

Even the notion of 600-1000 mile breakin periods on a motor are still observed, and very outdated...

Many new bikes have already been run on a dyno to redline, an hour after they were assembled, to make sure the power output is within spec... If that doesn't blow it up, neither will you...

Just the ones off the top of my head, as I wait for it to get warm enough to go ride. :-)

Back
Top Bottom