• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what do I do with this baby raccoon?

And so ends the saga of Squeakers.
The OFFICIAL story goes as follows
After many hours of trying to save him here is what we came up with.
DNR requires that his little head be chopped off and tested for rabies but it's the responsibility of the local health dept. Local health department told me to call USDA and see if there was a work around. USDA ,also very friendly, said he would not have anything to do with it because of the possibility of contamination from me. Not in his departments scope. Sent me back to health department. We discussed it and unnamed official said that nothing happened that fell in their definition of exposure since I was not bitten or scratched and they would not send off for rabies testing in this case. However, the animal had to be destroyed.
I put squeakers down and burned his little body, hence the DNR has no body they need to recover (or require the health dept to recover).

I met with a nice girl somewhere headed to Mexico who had raised many exotic animals. We agreed on the proper course of action for squeaker's demise.

We can all agree that Squeakers is in a better place now....

lighters.jpg

And so ends the saga of Squeakers.
The OFFICIAL story goes as follows
After many hours of trying to save him here is what we came up with.
DNR requires that his little head be chopped off and tested for rabies but it's the responsibility of the local health dept. Local health department told me to call USDA and see if there was a work around. USDA ,also very friendly, said he would not have anything to do with it because of the possibility of contamination from me. Not in his departments scope. Sent me back to health department. We discussed it and unnamed official said that nothing happened that fell in their definition of exposure since I was not bitten or scratched and they would not send off for rabies testing in this case. However, the animal had to be destroyed.
I put squeakers down and burned his little body, hence the DNR has no body they need to recover (or require the health dept to recover).

I met with a nice girl somewhere headed to Mexico who had raised many exotic animals. We agreed on the proper course of action for squeaker's demise.

We can all agree that Squeakers is in a better place now....

If there is any more to the story, I will keep you updated but I think that's the end. I am expecting a call from DNR but no one at all was anything less than friendly and helpful while telling me the correct course of action and the legal recourse for keeping a pet raccoon.

squeekers demise.jpg
:(

Back
Top Bottom