• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snakes are on the move

moosensquirrel

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Normally I do not even kill poisonous snakes but had to make an exception yesterday.

SWMBO and I were on our way to Jekyll Island with our bicycles when our Hospice helper called in a panic. She was doing laundry and had dropped a sock and when reaching to pick it up, the sock moved. She was in a near hysterical mode, but I told her it was probably a harmless snake, but regardless, to leave the laundry as is and to just go inside and close the bedroom door (laundry is in the motor-home garage which we were in at the time) and I would deal with it when we got back.

When we got home, I opened the doors to the garage for extra light, got my flashlight and went snake hunting. Found nothing. I noticed a canvas car-top carrier against the wall, and picked it up to discard. There, curled up in the strike position about 6 inches from my ankle, was a 4ft cotton-mouth. Without moving my feet, I reached over to the clothes dryer, picked up a folded towel, and let it drop on the snake who further withdrew inside the towel. I then picked up the towel and snake and proceeded for the exit. I have a pretty good grip, but somehow the snake wiggled its head out and proceeded to try to bite me dribbling venom on my wrist.

If ever there was a snake-slinging contest, I am sure I would have at least got honorable mention. The snake bounced 2x in the garage (36 ft long) once on the ramp (12 ft) and landed another 12-15 ft out on the grass.

I was still going to put him back in the creek when SWMBO intervened. Although I washed the venom off of my hand and wrist right away, it still burned a little a half-hour later...I kept checking to see if I might have been bitten...nothing.

I am guessing that a combination of drought and the need for reptiles to stock up for winter, drove this snake out of it's normal habitat.

Caution advised if you live near a creek.

You picked up a cotton mouth with a towel?!?! :doh:
Crocodile Hunter style...
ZomboMeme 26102020091434.jpg

Back
Top Bottom