• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoothie basics

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I had some dental work done a few weeks ago. We bought a small blender and have since drank a lot of milk shakes. My daughter enjoys making smoothies. I like the idea and think smoothies are probably healthier but I dont like yogurt. I have looked for recipes but most require almond milk or peanut butter. I am allergic to nuts. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or recipes they will share. This morning I added spinach to my cookie milkshake. I could not taste it but Im sure it added very little health benefit. I know I will have to get past the green aspect etc.

Why am I wanting smoothies. I love milk shakes and assume they will be healthier. I hate fast food restaurants so I figure it will make a good grab and go option. I want to start eating better and figure this is a good way to get some vitamins etc as I cant seem to chew a salad this may be a good healthy substitute.

Can definitely second the suggestion for the bananas and the protein powder. You can peel the bananas and store them in the freezer. As long as you have a halfway decent blender they work well for a more milkshake like consistency.

No need for yogurt if it’s not your thing. A Banana will provide the same creaminess. Feel free to replace almond milk with diary if that’s your preference. There are no rules!
And an apple or handful of pineapple can coverup an entire container of greens. It’s the only way I can consume kale/spinach etc. just start wherever you can, and slowly start to use less sweetness. I’ve gotten to the point that most commercial smoothies are too sweet for me. Even the green ones! And a lot of the ones made by Naked or Odwalla are just glorified sugar delivery systems. Steer clear. Try Suja or Ardens Gardens for healthier options. Find ones you really like and then try to replicate at home using the same basic ingredients. If you stick with it long enough, taste becomes less important as your body will tell you how happy it is to be provided nutrition.

This is gonna sound weird, at least it did to me, but while in Ankara, Turkey 3 years ago we ate at a Vegan restaurant and I was talked into trying a banana avocado smoothie. Couple of bananas, an avocado, unsweetened coconut milk, and a tablespoon of local honey.
Agreed. I don’t like Avacados but the taste is super easy to cover up and Avacados provide a ton of creaminess and can cover up the gritty-ness that comes with some apples and carrots etc.

Agreed. I don’t like Avacados but the taste is super easy to cover up and Avacados provide a ton of creaminess and can cover up the gritty-ness that comes with some apples and carrots etc.
Who would want to cover up the taste of an avocado? I can cut one up and eat it like candy.

I drink a green smoothie for breakfast about every day. I take a big handful of spinach and a cup of water and blend, then I add a banana, orange some (frozen) blueberries and strawberries. Blend again. Always blend the greens first or it tends to come out pulpy. You will never taste the spinach. I've tried kale and that taste comes through a bit stronger.

Back
Top Bottom