• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking

rec.jpg
This is a borrowed pic. My latest love is a Rec Tec. They are out of Augusta and have made quite a splash in the pellet smoker community over the last couple of years. I am a really lazy barbecue cook. I have had a plethora of smokers over the last 25 years from simple charcoal Brinkmans to stick burners. Right now I am very happy with a Big Green Egg and the Rec Tec. I'm a lazy BBQ cook, I am in it for the results these days. If there is good company to hang out with I miss the stick burner, otherwise it's all about the convenience and results.

I have a digi-cue for the Big Green Egg but it has been relegated to searing steaks or browning off whatever meat is coming out of the sous vide cooker. The Rec Tec is the bomb for BBQ and has taken over all smoking duties. It will hold 3 large or 4 medium packer cut briskets or 6-8 butts. And it is super simple. Fill the hopper with whatever flavor of pellets needed, set the temp and walk away for 12-36 hours. I don't even bother wrapping any more. I'll probably update the controller at some point because I would really like a couple of more temp sensors and wifi.

I am pretty good with the pork, chicken, and beef. Every time I try fish I am not pleased with the results, it's a shame because I love fish. I have done shrimp before wrapped in bacon that will make your tongue slap your brains out. Even tried some fresh dove last season and it was pretty tasty, those little tiny breasts will dry out quick if your not careful.

I never smoked before until I got an Akorn about 3 months ago. Man oh man I never knew what I was missing. Maybe in a year or so I will upgrade to a different smoker but for now I am in heaven.....

Back
Top Bottom