• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking the Cheese!

81433AD

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
In the spirit of it being March and St.Patricks Day coming up, I decided to cold smoke some 12 month Aged Irish Cheddar. I smoked it for 4 1/2 hours with Applewood and a very little Hickory. Before any comments that that is too long, it's a 5Lb wheel. Wrapped it in butcher paper overnight, vacuum sealed and its now in the fridge for the next two months to normalize. Can't wait!

IMG_4014.jpeg
IMG_4015.jpeg
IMG_3983.jpeg
IMG_3979.jpeg

GOT A FRIEND WHO SMOKES CHEESE AND GIVES ME A COUPLE POUNDS A FEW TIMES YEAR ! MAKES GREAT TOASTED CHEESE SANDWICHS ! USED SOME WITH OTHER CHEESE IN MACARONI CASSAROLE THAT WAS GREAT !

Yea....school us on this. I’ve smoked some just after pulling poultry/pork off the smoker but it only stays in about 25/30 minutes before melting starts (I put a pan of ice under it). It tastes good but yours seems like it would be 100x better.

Temps and times please.
What kind of smoker?

This is cold smoked. Hurry up before the warm weather gets here. Cold smoking needs to be done during cool weather so there's no need for ice trays an all that junk.
  • Traeger Grill, but you could actually use a cardboard box.
  • Temp: Not turned on
  • Time: 2 1/2 hours is best (an hour per/lb for larger loafs or wheels)
  • Wood: I use fruit woods (Applewood, Cherry, Peach) as they're not too strong. If you use Hickory or Mesquite cut down the time in the smoke.
  • Smoking tube: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRR7XD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • After Smoking: Wrap in butcher paper overnight so the cheese can breathe. This will mellow the smoke some. Then vacuum seal for at least 4 weeks. This will normalize the cheese. The flavor will go deeper into the cheese and the moisture will come out a rehydrate the outside.
  • You'll never buy smoked cheese again. Your Mac & Cheese is be award winning!

Back
Top Bottom