• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking a Fresh Ham - First Attempt

Why would it need a brine? I've always known to brine a bird to get salt in the meat to help retain moisture but id think a fresh ham has enough fat and salt already.

Never done a fresh ham....would love to try one!

Why would it need a brine? I've always known to brine a bird to get salt in the meat to help retain moisture but id think a fresh ham has enough fat and salt already.

Never done a fresh ham....would love to try one!
Without the brine with cure, smoking and fresh ham at low temps for that long could be quite dangerous. Also you won't get that nice ham color and flavor. It would come out like a Boston butt and tough.

Since this was my first ham, I used a brine mix from The Sausage Maker. No rub, just smoke and honey towards the end. I used a mix of pecan and applewood pellets @ 170 degrees until an internal temp of 155. Now that the first one is behind me I'll get a bit more adventurous on my own brine and possibly a mild rub.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/Honey-Ham-Cure-2-lbs-p/11-1113.htm
Thanks! I have a Lanes’s BBQ Signature brine that i’m going to try on it along with a little Meat Church Voodoo Rub. Good idea to inject also, never done that to a ham.

Back
Top Bottom