• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking a brisket?

I am smoking my first brisket a friend brought over for me to smoke, for wood I have cherry wood and some hickory,is that good for beef? I plan on using some slap your mama for a rub and spray with apple juice while cooking. I have smoke plenty of pig and deer quarters but this is my first go at beef,how does my plan sound?

Many people won't be able to tell the difference, but you typically want oak for brisket. Hickory is a great smoking wood and is awesome on all things pork but oak works better with beef. I mix my own rubs and the main difference between what I'd use on pork vs beef is the amount of sugar and black pepper. A lot less sugar for beef but more black pepper.

Don't go by time, get a meat thermometer if you don't have one already. Shoot for 203f internal. I typically wrap mine in foil at around 150f to cut down on cooking time, same as with butts and shoulders for pulled pork. You'll give up some bark but save 3 hours of cooking time and retain more moisture.

Google "Franklin BBQ" for Aaron Franklin's videos. Austin Texas pitmaster / chef who is at the top of the heap as far as brisket cooking is concerned. I've been to his restaurant and the line starts getting long by mid morning.
I've been cooking on my BGE for over 20 yrs and I don't know how many briskets I screwed up before I watched his videos ( and read his books). He takes all the mystery out of cooking a brisket. Patience, Patience and more Patience goes a long way!

Back
Top Bottom