• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking a brisket?

I dated a girl from Texas many years ago. Her dad cooked a brisket for supper one night. He had it wrapped in tin foil the entire time. Yes? No? Seems to me that you don't get the smoke if you leave it wrapped the whole time. If I remember correctly, is brisket was okay, but not great.

I have not ever wrapped mine in aluminum foil. I also adhere to the 90 minutes per pound. I have not injected mine before.

My best recommendation is to make sure to keep the temperature constant. I wish the you best and am looking forward to pictures as well.

Don't wrap it in foil while its cooking. You might take it off once it hits about 170 degrees and then wrap it in foil to finish cooking off while resting. Yeah I use a rub. Its my own recipe but pretty simple ingredients:
Smoked paprika
Black pepper
Salt
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Dried mustard

The trick is to get it around 180 degrees and it should be nice and good.
Brisket on the left and a pork shoulder on the right. Yeah, I'm an egghead.
IMG_1981.JPG

I trim mine, Inject it and also have a rub that I have tested and true. Many things come into play when smoking a Brisket..You need a good thermometer, the right wood for the smoke and proper control of temp during cooking..I also spritz mine with apple juice every hour. Mine take about 12 hrs at 225 to 250 temp, and the last two hrs I do wrap mine with foil. The main reason for sealing in foil is to return the juices into the meat, and steam it for tenderness. Their is a leaning curve that can take many years to achive..I suggest you going to some cookoffs, and talking to the chefs..They love to talk to cooks that want to learn..Watch listen, question and learn..Good luck with your Q

Don't wrap it in foil while its cooking. You might take it off once it hits about 170 degrees and then wrap it in foil to finish cooking off while resting. Yeah I use a rub. Its my own recipe but pretty simple ingredients:
Smoked paprika
Black pepper
Salt
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Dried mustard

The trick is to get it around 180 degrees and it should be nice and good.
Brisket on the left and a pork shoulder on the right. Yeah, I'm an egghead.
View attachment 912830

That looks about like the rub that I use on nearly everything, except I normally use a little brown sugar as well. My problem is maintaining heat on my grill. Yes, I smoke on an old propane grill. I cut a hole in the lid for smoke to escape and it pours over the meat to get to that hole. It works okay, but it is hard to maintain a steady heat. Sad thing is, my dad builds professional smoking units. :)

Back
Top Bottom