• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SMOKEY & THE BANDIT

The only movie I went to see twice. I can tell you a few stats about this movie. The Car used in the movie was a 76' with a 77' front end on it. I believe the movie was filmed before the actual 77s were out. If you look closely you will notice the tail lights on the movie car don't match up for the 77' model year. The movie car was a 455 engine, last year option for 76'. It took 4 TAs to film the movie. But yes the 400 was the standard engine and was the only offering in 77'. The 77' only produced 200hp in a time when the government had stepped in and had the new cars detuned because of emissions. The car new was between $7-8 thousand dollars. They filmed a lot of the movie on Ga. Hwy 400 along with several scenes in Jonesboro, McDonough, Lithonia, Helen and Lakewood Fairgrounds

My dad took us to Lakewood when they blew up the old roller coaster.
They used a filmed scene of it in the movie but it was destroyed before the movie came out.

My acting school friend convinced me to go out really early to Lakewood as extras to be in the opening scene. Was pretty bored until a german sheppard ran 300 ft. then attacked a girls small dog in the 1st isle of the bleachers. She got bit pretty bad but got to meet Burt cause the emts used his trailer to patch her up.

one of my good friends in high school got a brand new 76 black TA with the 6.6 for his HS graduation present , We raised he ll in that car for a few weeks then he wrapped it around a telephone pole on his way home from a party. He was thrown from the car through the T top and almost kilt his azz , Took him a year to recover and He walked with a gitty-up for the rest of his life.

“He sure did have a lot of friends didn’t he daddy”
They don’t make’em like they used too. Gleason was awesome. I’d love to find the out takes to that movie. Lol
"My hat fell off daddy"
"I hope ya god dam head was in it!"

You can watch the whole movie on youtube & there is a hour & 24 minute documentary but this one is pretty good.
80% of Gleasons role were off the top of his head... unscripted... What a cast that a stunt man put together.

Back
Top Bottom