• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Small Rifle Primers in 9mm?

You can use small rifle primers in small pistol loads. Some of the brands of rifle are actually more powerful than their pistol counterparts. If you are using a chrono to check your ammo you will actually get a few more (fps) feet per second with the rifle primers.

The only potential issue is if you went to lighter springs/firing components for a trigger job, you MAY have some ignition issues. As with anything, test and verify first.

However, dimensionally SRP and SPP are externally identical. Large rifle and large pistol are not, as the cup is deeper on a LRP.

You can use small rifle primers in small pistol loads. Some of the brands of rifle are actually more powerful than their pistol counterparts. If you are using a chrono to check your ammo you will actually get a few more (fps) feet per second with the rifle primers.

yeah I just dropped to the mid powder range to start and found the right seating depth and charge to run them reliably at sub sonic level with the CCI 400’s

This came up in the 1970s when small pistol primers got scarce for some reason.

Didn't nearly have the sophisticated equipment available now, but everyone agreed it was a an acceptable work around.

I do it all the time, don't see much of a difference when I chrono my pistol loads. Just make sure you stick to the big 4 brands (rem, win, cci, federal), the european primers have a harder cup. I have had ignition issues with S&B, Wolf, Fiocci SRP in pistol loads, I relegate those for my PCCs.

http://www.natoreloading.com/primer/

Note rifle primers don't negatively affect accuracy.

You can use rifle primers in pistols, but you should not use pistol primers in rifles, as they pop. see test:
http://natoreloading.com/SRprimers/
scroll down to bottom to see pistol primers after fired. There is almost zero difference between Magnum primers and Rifle primers, for use in pistol. Both will generate more FPS, and so if you want the same FPS, you need to lower your load. This ranges from .1 grain to maybe .5 grains. For example, 5.5 grains of N330 with pistol primer was same as magnum and rifle primer using 5.4 grains.

Back
Top Bottom