• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Simple ,old fashion Brunswick stew recipes :0)

If you are ever in the countys of Greensboro or White Plains holcombs BBQ has some of the best Brunswick stew to me! Also Straws BBQ in sparta Ga is just as good. I believe he used to cook for Holcombs at some point.

8# Hickory smoked Boston Butt
6# Hickory and Apple Wood smoked Chicken
5# Smoked Brisket
2-15 oz cans of Le Sueur Sweet Peas
2-15 oz cans of creamed corn
2-15 oz cans of sweet whole kernel corn
2 or 3 - 28 oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes
I often throw a bag of very tiny lima beans in it too.
BBQ Sauce to taste (careful if using a sweet sauce) I make my own, but like Williamson Brothers Original.
Salt and pepper to taste
Feel free to add more of any of the veggies listed above - some folks like diced potatoes in theirs as well.

Chop the meat up finely, add all ingredients (I use the tomato sauce in the cans of whole tomatoes too) in a large pot. Stir it up good and simmer for a couple hours or so over low heat. I like to put mine in the refrigerator over night to let the flavors meld. I toast a bun and spoon the stew on top like a Sloppy Joe then add some Texas Pete to taste. Came in 2nd place in a competition.....

Never even heard of brunswick stew. We eat chili around my house or beef stew.

Must be from the NAWTH, till yet never heard of a "TRUE BORN SOUTHERNER" who has never heard of, or eaten Brunswick Stew, how sad we had it so often we just could not get enough of that great stew!!!

Did Old hickory house have beans and peas in it? I don't think it did. Just corn and tomatoes??
Oh sweet little baby Jesus. Beans AND peas? Like Campbell's? I think I'm going to go throw up now.

In Jacksonville at a popular BBQ place I pitched a fit when the waitress brought me bowl of vegetable soup (looked like with giant chunks of potatoes, beans, peas and carrots) after I specifically told her not to bother if that's what they called stew. Nasteeeeee.......LOL. It was a sight.

Best stew around Atlanta use to be the Old Hickory House..

I've been trying to duplicate this stew for years. I used to work in Dunwoody village in college with an Old Hickory House across the street. I had their Brunswick stew and two grilled cheese sandwiches many, many times!!

Back
Top Bottom