• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Simple ,old fashion Brunswick stew recipes :0)

To me that has an after taste, I don't care for..

I'm not fond of it, myself. The smoke flavor should come from the meat. However, I didn't smoke the pork I used in mine (bought it for a last minute family get-together and was disappointed in the Q), so I put a little in mine. My smoked chicken, though, was fantastic! Almost couldn't put it in the stew, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for posting your recipe DinkyDau! I'll try to cut it back some, as I usually don't feed that many people!

^ yep. The recipe I posted was my simple "indoor" recipe. I've got the sprayberrys style recipe, a recipe I make with all smoked meats with no bbq sauce and liquid smoke, and a recipe with squirrel rabbit and deer meat. But those recipe are too dear to me to be shared.
Not cool to be stingy with the recipes.

Plus if I ever use it, I give you credit.......

43000 people and I'm the only one that cooks Brunswick stew ....... Bunch stinkin yanks. Lol
I cook it a lot. I can't give you a recipe; because I never make it the same way twice. Real Brunswick Stew was originally made from whatever was available....that's why there is no real recognized recipe. Mine is all pretty good; but I will admit, it is better sometimes than others. My basics are pretty much the same; but there are variances.

I grew up in Brunswick Georgia from age 1-24 here is my recipe and version.

PA: This makes a lot of stew, make sure to have lots of people around or lots of containers to store it.

Ingredients:

1 - 29 oz (large) can of tomato sauce
1-1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup Grey Poupon Course Ground and/or French's Yellow Mustard
1/4 to 1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot sauce (this is not a real HOT sauce, mild really, great flavor).
1/2 cup dark cane syrup (preferred) or brown sugar or cane sugar
1/2 cup of lemon juice (fresh is good, bottled fine to use too)
1 tsp of minced garlic
1 tsp of coarse ground black pepper (fresh ground from peppercorns is best)
2 tbs of pork rub, OPTIONAL
2 - 32oz containers of chicken broth and a glass of water (Good idea to have another chick broth on hand just in case you need to add liquid)
1 bag of frozen corn (white or yellow depending on your preference)
1 bag of frozen baby lima beans
3 large Vidalia onions or (4) yellow onions, diced.
Bundle of diced celery or 4 bags of frozen onion/celery mix (soup starter)
1 bag of chopped breakfast potatoes (found near the eggs at the grocery (uncooked).
2 large can of tomato sauce
3 large cans of diced tomatoes
1 frozen roll or can of creamed corn
1 bag of frozen okra.

Instructions
First the sauce
Combine tomato sauce, butter, mustard, cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, dark cane syrup (or brown sugar or cane sugar), lemon juice, minced garlic, coarse ground black pepper, and optional pork rub.
Stir constantly, increase heat to a simmer.
Then the stew
In a large pot, combine the chicken broth and a glass of water (Good idea to have another chick broth on hand just in case you need to add liquid), frozen corn, and baby lima beans
Bring the corn and lima beans to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes in the chicken broth until tender, then start adding the sauce and other ingredients below.
In a large frying pan
Sauté onions in olive oil. When the onions are translucent, add an entire bundle of diced celery and sauté a few more minutes. SHORTCUT: You can use 4 bags of frozen onion/celery mix (soup starter) and skip the sauté process.
Add sauce (above) for stew, then add: chopped breakfast potatoes, tomato sauce, creamed corn
Cook stew until ingredients are thoroughly mixed and then add: frozen okra. Pick through and remove the end pieces. (NOTE: the tomatoes in this recipe break down the “slime” you usually associate with cooked okra). Add the okra near the end of the cooking process to keep it from breaking apart.
Add shredded pork last. The stew consistency should be very thick, if too thick, add chicken broth and/or another can of tomatoes sauce.
Pork preparation
Smoke or oven bake a Boston Butt cut of pork. I like a lot of meat in the stew, so I use an 8 – 10 lb Boston butt cut. To achieve pulled pork, cook to 190° at 230-250 in the oven or smoker, then wrap in tin foil and let rest for at least 45 minutes. Shred the pork butt, removing any fatty chunks for stew.
NotesThis recipe freezes very well. Use GLAD or Tupperware containers filled to just below the rim, then affix lids and freeze.
Number of Servings: 20-30Time to Prepare: Stew itself, 2 hours

My grandmother’s recipe which no one claims to know where it is after her death 15 years ago was awesome. My mother & my aunt have it close. To look at it you would think it was inedible due to the orange tint. Man was it delicious though. I’ll see if my mom will give me what she has come up with that’s close to it. Whenever I try I get nowhere near the color or taste. Mine turns more of a deep red.

My grandmother’s recipe which no one claims to know where it is after her death 15 years ago was awesome. My mother & my aunt have it close. To look at it you would think it was inedible due to the orange tint. Man was it delicious though. I’ll see if my mom will give me what she has come up with that’s close to it. Whenever I try I get nowhere near the color or taste. Mine turns more of a deep red.

A buddy of mine makes great Brunswick stew and it has a orange tint to it.

Back
Top Bottom