• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Simple & inexpensive off-grid cabin anyone can build

I wonder if it would make sense to use the natural trees that you find on your own wooded property where your cabin is going to be built and saw them into rough-hewn lumber yourself. At least for all the boards, posts, wall studs, joists, etc. I suppose you'd still need to buy commercially manufactured plywood or OSB.

I bought a sawmill last year. Primary use is cutting pine for my wife's art business; we've reduced her trips to Home Depot for pine boards to near zero, so it's helped her bottom line. I recently cut some cedar posts and planks for my sister-in-law's front porch makeover. I built a roof extension to my shed to cover the sawmill. I'm cutting and stacking planks for a pole barn build.

It's an up front investment, not just the sawmill, but the tools to fell and move trees efficiently. Also takes some time to learn the milling process. There's also cleanup. You have to burn, chip or otherwise dispose of the scrap. Makes great mulch, but again, more time and money invested.

Enjoyable to some (including me), but I advise anyone thinking about going down this road be sure to allow additional funds for support equipment, and that the investment in labor isn't going to be a problem, both in terms of physical well being and mental attitude.

I bought a sawmill last year. Primary use is cutting pine for my wife's art business; we've reduced her trips to Home Depot for pine boards to near zero, so it's helped her bottom line. I recently cut some cedar posts and planks for my sister-in-law's front porch makeover. I built a roof extension to my shed to cover the sawmill. I'm cutting and stacking planks for a pole barn build.

It's an up front investment, not just the sawmill, but the tools to fell and move trees efficiently. Also takes some time to learn the milling process. There's also cleanup. You have to burn, chip or otherwise dispose of the scrap. Makes great mulch, but again, more time and money invested.

Enjoyable to some (including me), but I advise anyone thinking about going down this road be sure to allow additional funds for support equipment, and that the investment in labor isn't going to be a problem, both in terms of physical well being and mental attitude.
May I ask, what brand and type did you purchase?

Would you believe standing timber prices for hardwood saw timber were about $32 per ton as reported in 2016, and $30 per ton reported in 2020? Softwood saw timber went from about $26 per ton in 2016 to about $29 per ton in 2020. It was noted that these reports were mostly for timber harvested the previous year. Albeit, labor hasn't gone up that much and it appears that the old law of supply and demand is hot at work to raise lumber prices! I guess we should be buying Home Depot stock like mad!

Or better still, buy GMS of tucker GA, building supplies, whose stock has gone from 18 to 44 in the last 12 months!

Reminds me of most hunting camps in south Ga. Lots of guys build little cabins like this on their places, and they are nice and cozy...I have helped build a few myself...Until the past year or so, they were also very inexpensive to build.

At today's lumber prices...that's a $200K building
Screenshot_20210426-133244_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom