• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silent auctions

My point being, I got the warning email from the exalted ones for changing the spelling of words there by bypassing the sensors on restricted words yet auctions are becoming common place. I got no problem with auctions. Either change the name from ODT to Gunbroker South or enforce the rules.

I never understood that one. The "getting around the censoring"... If you are altering the spelling or putting in symbols instead of letters... then by definition, you aren't bypassing the censoring... you ARE censoring the words yourself.

Why would you get a warning for censoring out bad words that they were gonna sensor anyway? lol

I used to raise all kind of ban worthy hell over this, even ran some "tests" with a friend to see how it would work. Then wrote a primer on how to conduct them (auctions). Finally came out in conversations that a sailor is free to sail to anyone they want for any reason they want. Well now. That means if a sailor doesn't reply to your "I'll take it at the price you asked" the way you want, then your bid wasn't high enough.

I just don't get all worked up over it anymore.
Unlike salad and steak.

giphy (1).gif

Lots of new auctions this morning. I guess the thing is, unless the mods start reading private messages, there is no real way to prove or enforce it. I mean, they are obvious to look at... You see a "new" member but the way they word the listing tells you they know the drill from experience... they list a new gun at WAY over MSRP, and they say they want trades but it's just a generic list with no trade value given, no for sale price, and they disable comments...

It's obvious... but if push came to shove, they have plausible deniability because there isn't really a way to PROVE it...

Back
Top Bottom