• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silencer/suppressor rules

You are not legally obligated to show paperwork to anyone but ATF. However, showing it to LeO or range idiots may be helpful.

I have one copy on my phone but not the paper stuff. While it’s legal to travel out of state without filing forms I just don’t bring mine. Easier that way.

As steviesterno steviesterno stated, ONLY people who need to see proof of your items are the issuer's (ATF). LEO, thats not ATF, has NO RIGHT to examine your tax papers to see if you own them. Only thing they might be able to check is the 5320, authorizing you to travel to your destination with your items. And I wouldn't even show them that. Any LEO that's not ATF, CAN'T hold you hostage to see if you own a NFA item, and if they are, they are a true tyrant and deserve to have their badges rescinded ASAP. Your stamp is a tax document, and why would you walk around everyday with tax documents? Just my $0.02¢

As steviesterno steviesterno stated, ONLY people who need to see proof of your items are the issuer's (ATF). LEO, thats not ATF, has NO RIGHT to examine your tax papers to see if you own them. Only thing they might be able to check is the 5320, authorizing you to travel to your destination with your items. And I wouldn't even show them that. Any LEO that's not ATF, CAN'T hold you hostage to see if you own a NFA item, and if they are, they are a true tyrant and deserve to have their badges rescinded ASAP. Your stamp is a tax document, and why would you walk around everyday with tax documents? Just my $0.02¢
They can’t technically, but I’ve heard it happens a bunch. You can beat the rap but might not beat the ride.
That said if ranges ask for my stamp I kindly tell them to show me their W2. It’s a tax document. Not their business. Hell I had quite a thread here when governors powder springs wanted to record my address in a notebook for having a stamp :-/

I remember that, but it states on the ATF site, THEY are the only one's who can ask for the stamp. Say for instance, we go on a range trip to Tennessee to go shoot. We get pulled over for speeding. Cop see's a can on the rear floorboard. What right does he have to see if the item belongs to us? Tax stamp is a tax document. Once you show them the law from the ATF stating that, their authority has been superseded by a higher authority what can they do? And remember, they're a HIGHER grade of law enforcement, so they trump the local, and state in MOST cases. If we were at the range, and ATF did an audit, the ATF will ask you if you own the item in question, and will ask you to provide proof AFTER the fact because the tax stamp is a tax document and does not require you to carry it around.

They can’t technically, but I’ve heard it happens a bunch. You can beat the rap but might not beat the ride.
That said if ranges ask for my stamp I kindly tell them to show me their W2. It’s a tax document. Not their business. Hell I had quite a thread here when governors powder springs wanted to record my address in a notebook for having a stamp :-/

Just to be clear although they cant charge you with anything and it stick they are still well within their right to detain you impound your car and all the above to make sure you’re not in possession of an illicit item and release you and say sorry and you have no further recourse besides saying that’s ok I forgive you ….so it’s usually just easier to flash my paper that says it’s both mine and I’m gtg have a nice day officer cause the other options a waste of your time which is more valuable …just my two sense

You are not legally obligated to show paperwork to anyone but ATF. However, showing it to LeO or range idiots may be helpful.

If a L.E.O.in Georgia has probable cause to believe that you possess a silencer or a machine gun or a short barreled long gun,
he can arrest you ...unless you make the affirmative defense of showing that your weapon is legally registered with the feds.

This "you don't have to show this tax form to anybody but the IRS or ATF" is a bunch of Internet BS --at least in Georgia, because our STATE laws put the burden on you OF SHOWING your exotic weapon is legal.

Back
Top Bottom