• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig Rattler Bullet Stabilizing Issue

All good ideas.

I would check alignment again. Should have checked that immediately before you shot it.

SIG 220grn subs have always shot exceptionally well for me, but any company can make a mistake now and then.

I hadn’t shot it since I checked it the first time and I didn’t bring alignment rods with me to the range.

As far as the ammo, I haven’t shot it before but I figured it had to be decent. Sig gets so critiqued on everything, if it was junk ammo, I’m sure we would have heard.

How far you shooting down your hall way 25 yards lol.?.

Well, if you consider the new wing of the house, I probably have a decent 60yd shot down the hallway before it hits the rare art gallery but that’s only if you’re standing in the room I usually keep my ocelot.

I hadn’t shot it since I checked it the first time and I didn’t bring alignment rods with me to the range.

As far as the ammo, I haven’t shot it before but I figured it had to be decent. Sig gets so critiqued on everything, if it was junk ammo, I’m sure we would have heard.

I didn’t say that it was junk ammo, I was saying that it’s possible that a bad batch got out of the plant. In the past year or so, with all the buying hysteria, QC on guns and ammo have gone down the toilet.

I didn’t say that it was junk ammo, I was saying that it’s possible that a bad batch got out of the plant. In the past year or so, with all the buying hysteria, QC on guns and ammo have gone down the toilet.

That did cross my mind but I won’t know until I put another box through it.

UPDATE:

I figured out the cause of the issue this morning.

Took the Rattler to the range to try again. Tried multiple brands and grain weights of ammo with the same result.

I took the can off and the groups cleaned up and showed no signs of destabilizing with nice little groups. I then put the can back on and every shot seemed to keyhole with about a 18" impact shift at 25yds. Tried different gas settings with the same results as well. I was racking my brain at this point.

I then pulled another Sandman-S off another rifle I had in my truck and tried it on the Rattler. 10-shot group with 5 being suppressed and 5 not and you could not tell a difference.

It was clear at that point that the issue was the can and not the firearm. I just never noticed any issue with this can before now because this is the first time I have shot a .30 caliber through it.

I've already called and emailed DeadAir to see what we can do to remedy the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

-Will

UPDATE:

I figured out the cause of the issue this morning.

Took the Rattler to the range to try again. Tried multiple brands and grain weights of ammo with the same result.

I took the can off and the groups cleaned up and showed no signs of destabilizing with nice little groups. I then put the can back on and every shot seemed to keyhole with about a 18" impact shift at 25yds. Tried different gas settings with the same results as well. I was racking my brain at this point.

I then pulled another Sandman-S off another rifle I had in my truck and tried it on the Rattler. 10-shot group with 5 being suppressed and 5 not and you could not tell a difference.

It was clear at that point that the issue was the can and not the firearm. I just never noticed any issue with this can before now because this is the first time I have shot a .30 caliber through it.

I've already called and emailed DeadAir to see what we can do to remedy the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

-Will

Interesting. Please let us know what you find out.

Ok, so for an update and conclusion to this issue:

As you know, I contacted Dead Air about the issue and they sent me a RMA so I can return the can for inspection and repair. I sent it off and within a week my can had been re-cored, passed a .0250 pin test, been blasted and re-cerakoted, and back to my door. They also added all new hardware and a new muzzle brake as well.

I was shocked at the turn around time. I quickly pulled it out of the box to install it on my Rattler and it would not slip all the over brake so I could lock it. I tried it on several of my other Dead Air ready guns with no luck except with the NOX on my SOLGW and the new brake that came in the box.

So, I reached back out to Dead Air customer service where I was informed that the Keymo had been tweaked over the years and that some of the newer stuff may not fit just right. I believe it was to help the cans be removed off the rifles after shooting and carbon has been built up. I just can't verify my hunch. Regardless, DA customer service came through for me once again and sent me a new collar for the Sandman. It was at my door (again) within a week.

I tried the can a few days ago at the range and it was flawless. I can not stress how good Dead Air has treated me over the years. Great company and great product. That's why they have a customer for life.

I hope this helps anyone out there with this issue in the future or helps sway someone into getting a Dead Air product. I can't recommend them enough.

-Will

Back
Top Bottom