• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sig 522 & M&P 15-22

NGIB

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
Son & I loaded up the new .22s and went to the indoor range yesterday. His is a S&W M&P 15-22 and mine is a Sig 522. We installed a Bushnell Trophy red/green dot on each and brought CCI Mini-Mags and Winchester 333 as our ammo. The indoor range maxes out at 25 yards so this was the range we shot at. TBH, it's about as far as I can see anyway. I picked up a few extra Black Dog mags from Brownells and they all functioned well.

Took a few rounds to get the optics zeroed as both of them shot low/left out of the box. Initial impressions are that both guns are remarkably fun to shoot - I mean really fun. We put about 300 rounds through each of them and we both had a total of 2 FTEs - nothing systemic at all considering rimfire ammo. The sights, suggested by a friend, are fantastic. Once we got them dialed in they worked perfectly and really performed well. As I have not so good eyes, I had my son do the accuracy tests and he gave them the thumbs up.

Didn't really feel that either gun was superior in any way as the performance was identical. The only area where the S&W edged out the Sig involves loading the mags. The S&W mags have thumb assist buttons on the side of the mags and the Sig does not. Other than this, the guns are dead equal in terms of performance, quality, and fun.

Spending an afternoon with my son burning up ammo is about as good as it gets folks. We had a great time and my only regret is we didn't get some rimfire rifles sooner...

I have had both of the rifles you are talking about and the both are a blast to shoot and very accurate. I now have the colt ar 15-22 and the ruger sr-22 and they both are about the same. Very fun, accurate and cheap to shoot.

Yep... I've got the Sig 522...... I need more mags! I only have 2, and they run out too fast! 20 bucks for a brick of 22...... my wallet love it!!

As NGIB said, the SW is easier to load mags because of the buttons.... but I think its just a matter of time before blackdog comes out with something to make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom