• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sidearm when hunting/fishing

C

I want something to shoot game or a predator in the unlikely event my primary weapon fails or becomes unavailable. A friend of mine took his daughter hunting. Handed his rifle to her. A while later the buck of a lifetime step out about 30 yards in front of them. Poor girl could not find the buck in the scope to save her life and the buck soon trotted off. I scolded my friend for not having a suitable sidearm on him. At 30 yards a 357 magnum could do the trick on deer, its not ideal, but it would get the job done.

I'd prefer a 44 magnum or a 10mm longslide but a 357 magnum would do nicely.

Hum..killed a good many hogs with a slab side Buckmark 22...so good with all options listed. We hunt in Twiggs and loaded with bears always got a snubbed 357 in pocket but no issues with them in all these years.

B. Take the body and soul.

I'mma gonna say "B" -- the 13-shot .45

That's what I carry. Never been around bear that I'm aware of but works on pigs

If I had to choose only 1, it would be option B.

Well, B it is, .45 ACP.
For me it's a sort of downgrade for the 357 MAG that I have been using when in the mountains, and an upgrade from the 9mm that I have been using when hunting at the club or when fishing or hunting near I-20, or near Atlanta.

I have never had to shoot a pig coming after me but based on how stubborn they seem to be if they decide to attach you, I'll go for 14 rounds instead of the seven of my 686+.
I am going to use the Glock G21 that I have recently purchased.

Now the question is what ammo?
With the S&W I carried Buffalo Bore (19A/20) but given the current situation with the ammo for the time being I am going to use what I have available: Federal 230gr FMJ and the "old style" Federal 230gr Hi-Shok JHP. At least I have enough JHP to check reliability.
I am going to fill the spare magazine with the FMJ, as I do with my 9mm.
What about the ammo in the gun? Would you chose the Hi-Shok or just FMJ?

i1NjxcH.jpg

Back
Top Bottom