• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sick of such a LACK of HONOR & RESPECT.

eli'sbook

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
351   0
Reaction score
N. E. Henry County between Stockbridge & Conyers
For many, many years most of the members of this site were for the most part highly reliable, respectful, and of High Honor. Seems over the past few years this has changed drastically. Over the past many posts I have encountered many newer members with low feedback, zero feedback or "negative" feedback whom make contact with me on an item I have posted for sale or trade and then fall flat on their faces.
To those of you whom are upstanding members with respect, are in good standing and have Honor, I salute you as it seems we are a breed of folks that know how to treat one another and I appreciate each and every one of you.
It seems to me that very often many of these newer folks lack any common old school values and have no idea how to define the word honor. I've even had a rash of those whom wish to meet in some out of the way place and when I suspect a potential problem I suggest meeting at the local police precinct where they have parking marked for online/craigslist deals and of course the messaging then stops cold.
I've had many show up to deal whom could not provide ID to verify over 21 on a handgun and even more often they just don't show up for a scheduled meet at all, what a waste of time.
What has happened to this great group ?
Am I the only one on here experiencing this problem ?
Here is my big question - I find that we have the availability to "Ignore" a member - my question is; does "Ignore" work the same as "Block" when a person is trying to stop robo phone calls, can I block the members whom are a problem from even contacting me on a posting ?
Thank you for any help you can offer - God Bless the USA and the ODT !

does "Ignore" work the same as "Block" when a person is trying to stop robo phone calls, can I block the members whom are a problem from even contacting me on a posting ?
Yes. If you put someone on your ignore list, they can not send you a PM and if they do post in your ad, you will not see it.

Noticed many new members with multiple posts in ads trying to buy anything. No rhyme or reason, just wanting anything.

Yep, I get the feeling that some are possibly under 21, possibly felons and / or bad news from the craigslist mindset. I'm sure some are good folks which are just getting started but when I try to be of help they often disappear into the shadows like a thief in the night. Hope all the reputable ODT members are very safe/smart in their dealings !

I assume the newbies here are poopie-heads who migrated over from Craigslist and Facebook, looking to score a sweet deal so they can flip it for a profit, or so they can have their buddy drive it up to New York City and sell it on the street for three times its retail sticker price.

I "would" deal with a newbie here if they could convince me otherwise --like I said it's just an assumption . Prejudice. I'm pre-judging prior to getting any real information about them or a feeling for their character.
I'll go with my prejudices unless and until I get contrary evidence.

I did 2 deals in a week. Both new members. They appeared to have signed up for my items.

Both were excellent customers, showed up when and where I said.

What more can you ask for?

It appears our listings are showing up on internet searches and you will be ignoring a large group of motivated buyers if you ignore them.

The new members? Haven't been back

Yep, I get the feeling that some are possibly under 21, possibly felons and / or bad news from the craigslist mindset. I'm sure some are good folks which are just getting started but when I try to be of help they often disappear into the shadows like a thief in the night. Hope all the reputable ODT members are very safe/smart in their dealings !

Yes, always be on guard. I had a member in the last week who said he wanted my gun. Seeing that he was new, I asked him some general questions regarding his age and ability to prove he was legal to purchase...then nothing.

I assume the newbies here are poopie-heads who migrated over from Craigslist and Facebook, looking to score a sweet deal so they can flip it for a profit, or so they can have their buddy drive it up to New York City and sell it on the street for three times its retail sticker price.

I "would" deal with a newbie here if they could convince me otherwise --like I said it's just an assumption . Prejudice. I'm pre-judging prior to getting any real information about them or a feeling for their character.
I'll go with my prejudices unless and until I get contrary evidence.

Yes sir............I have been on ODT for a little while & have met some good people. When I consider a purchase or trade, I look at how long that person has been around on ODT, then the ratings. No need to take unnecessary chances in our current environment. ODT has been a real pleasure for me over the years and I hope it continues to be for others as well.

Back
Top Bottom