• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF!

Has anyone tried pemmican or hardtack type things?
Yes, I made pemmican. I couldn't get my kid to try it so I sat in front of him and ate several balls of it. Couple days later I got severe pain left side of abdomen. I went to 3 different doctors but got nowhere. Pain got worse. I went to the vetinerian. I figured his patients couldn't tell him what is wrong. I just pointed and said I hurt here. He said go get some olive oil and raisins & eat raisins and take some olive oil. Soon there was a huge blowout that went on all afternoon. That pemmican had set up in the guts like a rock. Thank the good Lord for Vets. My advice to you. Make pemmican. It's not that tasty, don't eat much at the time. Keep the Olive oil & raisins handy. You'll need your stock of toilet paper too.

I looked through the posts but didn't see where anybody is preparing to make their own alcohol, for fuel & other uses in emergency. Has this been covered yet! Without any law it should be important

I've looked into it before with this in mind. Prices aren't too bad, in the same range of a new gun but can go up depending how large or fancy it gets. One thing to consider is either going with stainless steel or copper. If it's just for fuel the stainless will be the better option, but if you plan to use it for spirits then copper is the way to go. You could use a stainless pot & a copper column or copper mesh in the pot to remove the sulfur compounds for a better taste.

Here's a good link to explain it all better. https://www.clawhammersupply.com/bl...04996-copper-stills-vs-stainless-steel-stills

If I had the room or a separate building to work in just for this type of thing I'd have picked one up by now. It could never replace my Scotch, but it'd be fun to experiment. Gin could be an interesting item for SHTF, pretty much infuse it with things you have local to you like pine needle, lemon peels, or Sassafras root.

Yes, I made pemmican. I couldn't get my kid to try it so I sat in front of him and ate several balls of it. Couple days later I got severe pain left side of abdomen. I went to 3 different doctors but got nowhere. Pain got worse. I went to the vetinerian. I figured his patients couldn't tell him what is wrong. I just pointed and said I hurt here. He said go get some olive oil and raisins & eat raisins and take some olive oil. Soon there was a huge blowout that went on all afternoon. That pemmican had set up in the guts like a rock. Thank the good Lord for Vets. My advice to you. Make pemmican. It's not that tasty, don't eat much at the time. Keep the Olive oil & raisins handy. You'll need your stock of toilet paper too.
FFFFFFffff hahaha. Thank you for the hoensty brother. That's one thing I always wonder about a prep scenario. Half the stash is immobilized due to weight. I like lightweight, on the go stuff.

I've been testing and refining a recipe for homemade wine from Welch's grape juice. Its not too bad, and ready to drink in about a week.

I've been testing and refining a recipe for homemade wine from Welch's grape juice. Its not too bad, and ready to drink in about a week.
Right, Welches wine is the fast & easy way to go in 3 days it's close, in 5 it's right. Don't cap the bottles tight, then refrigerate! When cool drink. If sediment in bottom pour it slow, leave sediment in bottle

As cheap as wine is, what's the benefit of making it with grape juice? If it were a shtf situation you would need a supply of grape juice & sugar. I could see if you had a grapevine to help make it, but that would be a different process that didn't need a store to supply the ingredients.

For the cost of a 1.5L bottle @ under $8, I found it hard to justify the added work for something that would cost the same if I bought it already made. Don't get me wrong, if I could make 1.5L Pinot Noir for under $8 I'd give it a shot, but I couldn't see it as a skill that could carry over into a shtf scenario.

Right, Welches wine is the fast & easy way to go in 3 days it's close, in 5 it's right. Don't cap the bottles tight, then refrigerate! When cool drink. If sediment in bottom pour it slow, leave sediment in bottle
Do you let it sit outside the fridge? Add a lil' yeast?

We use to do:

Any fruit

Cover in sugar

Add a lil OJ or similar.

In one week we strained it to pass around the boyscouts meets. Hahahaha

Do you let it sit outside the fridge? Add a lil' yeast?

We use to do:

Any fruit

Cover in sugar

Add a lil OJ or similar.

In one week we strained it to pass around the boyscouts meets. Hahahaha
It only goes in cooler after it's finished working which is less than a week. It needs to work in a warm place. Three gallons Welches, 5+ pounds sugar, two packs fleischman yeast. Stir, it's got to be in open top container. We used a stoneware churn. Cover with a white cloth. Let it work in warm dark spot for 4-5 days. Strain through cloth that covered it, back into Welches bottles. Do not cap them tightly, sit the now wine in cooler. In few hours..enjoy.

When I was stationed in the Philippines we used to have Purple Jesus parties after the last mid of the cycle. It was 3 gallons of grape juice in a 5 gallon container, all the liquor we had left over in the barracks until the Class VI card reloaded, stir and float a dirty sock on top for character. Let sit for 10 minutes, stir again and chug mugs. Cheap and a fast drunk in a few minutes. Hang over was terrible. Probably not a good SHTF drink but just goes to show what you can make when you are broke and desperate. (This was 1972 - 1973 time frame and after last PJ party I gave up drinking for good).

I use a ballon with a couple of holes in the neck to work as an airlock for CO2 to escape and a new unused $5 fuel siphon to get the wine off of the sediment and into mason jars.

As cheap as wine is, what's the benefit of making it with grape juice? If it were a shtf situation you would need a supply of grape juice & sugar. I could see if you had a grapevine to help make it, but that would be a different process that didn't need a store to supply the ingredients.

For the cost of a 1.5L bottle @ under $8, I found it hard to justify the added work for something that would cost the same if I bought it already made. Don't get me wrong, if I could make 1.5L Pinot Noir for under $8 I'd give it a shot, but I couldn't see it as a skill that could carry over into a shtf scenario.

I've got a supply of sugar laid in for this purpose, but any sugar will work, as will any edible berry or fruit, and those are easy to get in the summer time.

Back
Top Bottom